In James 4:1-10, James reviews the symptoms of the problem (quarrels and fights; vs 1-2), the diagnosis (friendship with the world; vs 3-5) and the medicine we need (God’s grace; vs 6:-10).
We have broken horizontal relationships in part because we have a broken vertical relationship. The quarrels and fights among us can be traced back to a weak passion for God and a strong passion for the world.
The solution will not be found inside you or in the world. The answer is found in humbly seeking the grace of God.
Outline James 3:13-4-10
A – 3:13 – wisdom from above
B – 3:14-16 – earthly wisdom
A – 3:17-18 wisdom from above
B – 4:1-5 – earthly wisdom
A – 4:6-10 – seek wisdom from above
Questions – James 4:1-10
- From your observation what causes the fights and quarrels in your church or in your community?
- Define “passions” and “desire” as used in this passage.
- What does “friendship with the world” look like?
- In your opinion what values and attitudes from the world have crept into the church?
- How would you answer a new believer who asked you what “resisting the devil” looks like?
- How does this passage change or influence your definition of repentance?