Study questions, maps, charts, key words, history, background, outlines, and links to help you study Paul’s second epistle to the Corinthians.
Jump to: Background; ** Maps; ** Key Words; ** Encyclopedias; ** Commentaries; ** Articles; ** GotQuestions ** Next **
- Author: The Apostle Paul, writing from Macedonia, approx 55-56 AD.
- Occasion: To explain his change of travel plans and defend his authority as an apostle
- Chapters 1-7 – Paul explains his ministry in terms of the New Covenant
- Chapters 8-9 – Paul asks them to contribute to relief fund for the church in Jerusalem
- Chapters 10-13 – Paul responds to his accusers and defends his ministry
Genre: Understanding Epistles
Background & Outlines
- How many letters did Paul write to Corinth
- City of Corinth
- Chronology of Paul
- Paul’s use of the Old Testament
- Blue Letter Bible: Chronology of Acts/Epistles
- Blue Letter Bible: 2 Corinthians Outline
- Bible Atlas: Corinth
- Map of NT Greece
- Map of Corinth from Middletown Bible Church
- Ray C. Stedman: Overview of the Book
- John MacArthr: Author, Date, Background
- James van dine: Introduction to 2 Corinthians
- David Malick: An Introduction To 2 Corinthians
- David Malick: An Argument Of 2 Corinthians
- J Vernon McGee: 2 Corinthians Introduction
Maps from Bible-History.com
- New Testament World
- Paul’s 1st Journey
- Paul’s 2nd Journey – visits Corinth on this trip
- Paul’s 3rd Journey – writes his letters during this time period
- New Testament Cities – Once there click on specific area
Maps from Studylight.org
- Paul’s First Missionary Journey
- Paul’s Second Missionary Journey
- Paul’s Third Missionary Journey
- Paul’s Arrest and Imprisonment
- Paul’s Voyage to Rome
Key Words in 2 Corinthians
Occurrences are based on New American Standard Text. “4x/3v” means the word appears 4 times in 3 verses. “3x” means the word appears 3 times in 3 verses.
- glory (21x/14v) – Strong’s G1392 in 3:10, 3:11, 3:18, 4:4, 4:6, 4:15, 6:8, 8:19, 8:23; Strong’s G1391 in 3:10
- boast (14x/11v) – Strong’s G2744 in 9:2, 10:8, 10:13, 10:16, 10:17, 11:16, 11:18, 11:30, 12:5, 12:6, 12:9; and boasting (3x) in 10:5 11:12, 12:1
- boasting (6x) – Strong’s G2746a in 7:4, 7:14, 8:24, 11:10, 11:17; Strong’s G2745 in 9:3; confidence (1x) – Strong’s G2746a in 1:12
- grace (10x) – Strong’s G5485 in 1:2, 1:12, 4:15, 6:1, 8:1, 8:9 9:8, 9:14, 12:9, 13:14
- confidence (9x) – Strong’s G4006 in 1:15, 3:4, 8:22, 10:2; Strong’s G3982 in 2:3 Strong’s G3954 in 7:4; Strong’s G2292 in 7:16; Strong’s G5287 in 9:4, 11:17
- comfort (11X/9V) – Strong’s G3874 in 1:3, 1:4, 1:5, 1:6, 1:7, 7:4, 7:7, 7:13; Strong’s G3870 in 1:4, 2:7; comforted (6x) – Strong’s G3870 in 1:4, 1:6, 7:6, 7:7, 13:11
- sorrow (11x/8v) – Strong’s G3077 in 2:1, 2:3, 2:7, 7:10, Strong’s G3076 in 2:2 2:5. 7:8, 7:11; sorrowful (6x/4v) – Strong’s G3076 in 2:2, 2:4, 6:10, 7:9
- afflicted (3x) – Strong’s G2346 in 1:6, 4:8, 7:5; affliction (8x/7v) – Strong’s G2347 in 1:4, 1:8, 2:4, 4:17, 7:4, 8:2, 8:13
- suffer (2x) – Strong’s G3958 in 1:6, 7:9; sufferings (3x) – Strong’s G3804 in 1:5, 1:6, 1:7;
- death (10x/9v) – Strong’s G2288 in 1:9, 1:10, 2:16, 3:7, 4:11, 4:12, 7:10, 11:23; Strong’s G2289 in 6:9
- life (8x/7v) – Strong’s G2198 in 1:8, 2:16, 3:6, 4:10, 4:11, 4:12, 5:4
- heart (8x) – Strong’s G2588 in 2:4, 3:15, 4:1, 4:16, 5:12, 6:11, 8:16, 9:7
Commentaries & Study Bibles
- Top 5 Commentaries on 2 Corinthians by Keith Mathison – Ligonier.org
- Best Commentaries on 2 Corinthians – Tim Challies
- Commentary Reviews: 2 Corinthians
- Calvin’s Commentary on the Bible: 2 Corinthians
- Albert Barnes Notes on the Whole Bible: 2 Corinthians
- Alfords Exegetical Commentary: 2 Corinthians
- Matthew Henry’s Complete Commentary on the Bible: 2 Corinthians
- Geneva Study Bible: 2 Corinthians
- Reformation Study Bible Notes: 2 Corinthians
- Precept Austin Commentaries & Sermons: 2 Corinthians
Ligonier Ministry Devotionals
- 2 Corinthians 1:20 Our Amen to the Glory of God
- 2 Corinthians 3:7–18 Transformation into Glory
- 2 Corinthians 4:7–15 The Kingdom Paradox
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 Genuine Conversion
- 2 Corinthians 5:21 The Righteousness of God
- 2 Corinthians 9:6–15 Cheerful Giving
- 2 Corinthians 11:14–15 The Angel of Light
- 2 Corinthians 11:22–12:10 Paul the Preacher
- 2 Corinthians 12:1–10 Power in Weakness
- 2 Corinthians 13:14 Contradiction Vs. Paradox
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
City of Corinth
- Corinth Map – Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
- Corinth – Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
- Corinth – Ancient History Encyclopedia
- Bridgeway Bible Dictionary Corinth
- Easton’s Bible Dictionary Corinth
- Fausset Bible Dictionary Corinth
- Holman Bible Dictionary Corinth
- Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible Corinth
- Watson’s Theological Dictionary Corinth
- 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica Isthmus of Corinth
- International Standard Bible Encyclopedia Corinth
- Kitto Biblical Cyclopedia Corinth
- McClintock and Strong’s Bible Encyclopedia Corinth (2) Divisions in the Church at Corinth Corinth
- The Nuttall Encyclopedia Corinth
- The Jewish Encyclopedia Corinth
- Corinthians 1st & 2nd, Theology of – Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology
- Corinthians, Second Epistle to – Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
- Corinthians, Second Epistle to – Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible
- Corinthians, Second Epistle to – International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
- Corinthians, Epistles to – Kitto’s Popular Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature
- Epistles to the Corinthians – 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica
- Paul, the Apostle – Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology
- Paul – Holman Bible Dictionary
- Paul, the Apostle – Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible
- Paul – Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
- Paul, the Apostle – International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
- Paul- Kitto’s Popular Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature
- Titus – Holman Bible Dictionary
- Titus – Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible
- Titus – International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
- Titus – Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
- Titus – Kitto’s Popular Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature
- Titus in 2 Corinthians: 2:13; 7:6; 7:13-14; 8:6; 8:16; 8:23; 12:18
- Titus in rest of New Testament: Galatians 2:1-3; 2 Timothy 4:10; Titus 1:4
Treat like any commentary: read thoughtfully and carefully.
- Book of 2 Corinthians – Bible Survey
- What are the Pauline epistles?
- What can we learn from the life of Paul?
- What is the seal of the Holy Spirit?
- What is the meaning of “from glory to glory” in 2 Corinthians 3:18?
- What does the Bible say about transformation?
- How is Satan god of this world?
- Why does God allow deception?
- What is Spiritual Blindness?
- What does the Bible say about despair?
- What does it mean that we have treasures in jars of clay?
- What is the inner man?
- What is glorification?
- What does it mean to be absent from the body?
- What does the Bible say about death?
- What is Christian reconciliation? Why do we need to be reconciled with God?
- What does it mean to be an ambassador for Christ?
- What does it mean to walk by faith not by sight?
- What does it mean that a Christian is a new creation?
- What is righteousness?
- What does it mean that today is the day of salvation?
- What does it mean to be unequally yoked?
- What is biblical separation?
- Is it good to have close friendships with unbelievers?
- What is godly sorrow?
- What Can We Learn from the life of Titus?
- What does the Bible say about sowing and reaping?
- How can I become a more cheerful giver?
- Why is giving so emphasized in the Christian faith?
- Spiritual strongholds – what is the biblical view?”
- Do we need to be aware of the spiritual battle that is taking place around us?
- What does it mean to take every thought captive?
- Who are the super-apostles Paul mentions?
- What does it mean that Satan masquerades as an angel of light?
- How can I recognize a false teacher / false prophet?
- What does the Bible say about an out of body experience / astral projection?
- Are there different levels of Heaven? Are there three heavens?
- What does the Bible say about near death experiences?
- What was Paul’s thorn in the flesh?
- What is the key to truly experiencing God?
- If our salvation is eternally secure, why does the Bible warn so strongly against apostasy?
- What are some of the signs of genuine saving faith?
- What exactly is a ‘holy kiss’?
- What does the Bible teach about the Trinity?
Bible Study Helps
- Bible Study 101
- Interpreting Epistles
- Study Software & websites
- More Maps & Charts
- Greek Word Studies by Precepts Austin
- Books on how to study the Bible