Study questions, maps, charts, key words, history, background, outlines, and links to help you study Peter’s second epistle.
Bible Study: 2 Peter: How to Find Life
Jump to: Background; ** Maps; ** Key Words; ** Encyclopedias; ** Commentaries; ** Articles; ** GotQuestions ** Next **
- Author: The Apostle Peter
- Date: Before Peter’s death in 68 AD (approx 65-68 AD)
- Recipients: Church at large
Genre: Understanding Epistles
Background & Outlines
- Peter NASB Study Text
- 2 Peter ESV Study Text
- A Comparison of 2Peter 2 & Jude
- Peter’s use of the Old Testament
- Map of NT Churches
- Blue Letter Bible: Peter in New Testament
- Blue Letter Bible: Chronology of Acts/Epistles
- Ray C. Stedman: Overview of the Book
- John MacArthur: Author, Date, Background
- NIV: 2 Peter Introduction
- ESV: Introduction to 2Peter
- ESV: The Global Message of 2Peter
- 2 Peter – Charles Swindoll
- 2 Peter: Introduction, Argument, and Outline – Daniel Wallace
- James Van Dine: Introduction to 2 Peter
- Key to 2 Peter – William Orr
- 2 Peter – Myer Pearlman (1935)
- Synthetic Bible Study – 2 Peter – James Gray (1906)
- 2 Peter Introduction – Wil Pounds
- David Malick (Bible.org): Introduction To The Book Of 2 Peter
- David Malick: Argument Of The Book Of 2 Peter
- Eyewitness History: Persecution Under Nero
- Eyewitness History: Burning of Rome 64AD
- Eusebius: Persecution under Nero
- Peter’s Wife (Zondervan)
Maps from Bible-History.com
- Israel in NT Times
- Kingdom of Herod the Great
- Herod’s Kingdom Divided
- New Testament Jerusalem
- New Testament Cities
- Apostles’ Journeys
Maps from Studylight.org
- The Kingdom of Herod Agrippa I
- The Kingdom of Agrippa II
- Pentecost and the Jewish Diaspora
- Expansion of the Early Church in Palestine
Key Words in 2 Peter
Occurrences are based on New American Standard Text. “4x/3v” means the word appears 4 times in 3 verses. “3x” means the word appears 3 times in 3 verses.
- Jesus Christ (9x/8v) – Strong’s G2424 in 2Pe 1:1; 2Pe 1:2; 2Pe 1:8; 2Pe 1:11; 2Pe 1:14; 2Pe 1:16; 2Pe 2:20; 2Pe 3:18.
- God (7x) – Strong’s G2316 in 2Pe 1:1; 2Pe 1:2; 2Pe 1:17; 2Pe 1:21; 2Pe 2:4; 2Pe 3:5; 2Pe 3:12.
- knowledge (8x) – Strong’s G1922 in 2Pe 1:2; 2Pe 1:3; 2Pe 1:8; 2Pe 2:20; Strong’s G1108 in 2Pe 1:5; 2Pe 1:6; 2Pe 3:18; Strong’s G50 in 2Pe 2:12.
- know (3x) – Strong’s G3609a in 2Pe1:12; Strong’s G1097 in 2Pe1:20; 2Pe 3:3; known (3x/2v) – Strong’s G1107 in 2Pe 1:16; Strong’s G1921 in 2Pe 2:21.
- reminder (2x) – Strong’s G5280 in 2Pe1:13; 2Pe 3:1; remind (1x) Strong’s G5279 in 2Pe1:12; remember (1x) – Strong’s G3403 in 2Pe3:23. “call these things to mind” – 2Pe1:15; “pay attention” in 2Pe1:19. forgotten (1x) – Strong’s G3024 in 2Pe 1:9.
- true (3x) – Strong’s G1922 in 2Pe 1:3, 2Pe 1:8; Strong’s G227 in 2Pe 2:22;.
- truth (2x) – Strong’s G225 in 2Pe 1:12; 2Pe 2:2.
- false (3x/2v) – Strong’s G5578 in 2Pe 2:1; Strong’s G5572 in 2Pe 2:1; Strong’s G4112 in 2Pe 2:3.
- destroyed (5x) – Strong’s G5351 in 2Pe 2:12; Strong’s G622 in 2Pe 3:6; Strong’s G3089 in 2Pe 3:10; 2Pe 3:11; 2Pe 3:12.
- destruction (6x) – G684 in 2Pe 2:1; 2Pe 2:3; 2Pe 3:7; 2Pe 3:16; Strong’s G2692 in 2Pe 2:6; Strong’s G5356 in 2Pe 2:12.
- judgment (5x) – Strong’s G2920 in 2Pe 2:4; 2Pe 2:9; 2Pe 2:11; 2Pe 3:7. Strong’s G2917 in 2Pe 2:3.
- promise (3x) – Strong’s G1860 in 3:4, 3:9; Strong’s G1862 in 3:13
- word/words (3x) – Strong’s G3056 in 2Pe 1:19; 2Pe 2:3;2Pe 2:18; (implied); 2Pe 3:5; 2Pe 3:7; Strong’s G4487 in 2Pe 3:2.
- righteousness (4x) – Strong’s G1343 in 2Pe 1:1; 2Pe 2:5; 2Pe 2:21; 2Pe 3:13. righteous (3x/2v) – Strong’s G1342 in 2Pe 2:7; 2Pe 2:8.
- godliness (4x) – Strong’s G2150 in 2Pe 1:3; 2Pe 1:6; 2Pe 1:7; 2Pe 3:11.
- prophecy (2x) – Strong’s G4394 in 2Pe1:20; 2Pe 1:21; prophet (1x) – Strong’s G4396 in 2Pe 2:16; prophetic (1x) – Strong’s G4397 in 2Pe 1:19.
- heavens (5x) – Strong’s G3772 in 2Pe 3:5; 2Pe 3:7; 2Pe 3:10; 2Pe 3:12; 2Pe 3:13.
- diligent (3x) Strong’s G4704 in 2Pe 1:10; 2Pe 1:15; 2Pe 3:14; / diligence (1x) Strong’s G4710 in 2Pe 1:5; / make certain (1x) – Strong’s G4160 G949 in 2Pe 1:10.
Commentaries & Study Bibles
- Top 5 Commentaries on 2 Peter & Jude – Ligonier.org
- Best Commentaries on 2 Peter & Jude- Tim Challies
- Calvin’s Commentary on the Bible: 2 Peter
- Albert Barnes Notes on the Whole Bible: 2 Peter
- Alfords Exegetical Commentary: 2 Peter
- Matthew Henry’s Complete Commentary on the Bible: 2 Peter
- Geneva Study Bible: 2 Peter
- Reformation Study Bible Notes: 2 Peter
- Precept Austin Commentaries & Sermons: 2 Peter
ESV Study Bible
- Deity of Jesus in 2 Peter
- Introduction to 2 Peter (Includes timeline)
- The Global Message of 2 Peter
- What is heresy?
- 2 Peter 3:10 Like a Thief in the Night
- NT Theology and Key Dates
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
Peter (aka Simon Peter, Simon, Cephas)
- Peter means “rock or stone” – Hitchcock’s Bible Names
- Simon means ” that hears; that obeys” – Hitchcock’s Bible Names
- Cephas means a rock or stone – Hitchcock’s Bible Names
- Baker Theological Evangelical – 2 Peter, Theology of 2 Peter
- American Tract Society Peter, Epistles of
- Easton’s Bible Dictionary Peter, Second Epistle of
- Fausset Bible Dictionary Peter, the Epistles of
- Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible Peter, Second Epistle of
- Hastings’ Dictionary of the NT Peter Epistles of
- Morrish Bible Dictionary Peter, Second Epistle of
- Smith Bible Dictionary Peter, Second Epistle of
- International Standard Bible Encyclopedia Peter, the Second Epistle of
- McClintock and Strong’s Bible Encyclopedia Peter, Second Epistle Of
- The Nuttall Encyclopedia Peter, the Second Epistle of
- Holman Bible Dictionary – 2 Peter
- Bridgeway Bible Dictionary – Peter, letters of
- 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica Epistles of Peter
- Kitto Biblical Cyclopedia Peter epistles of
- Peter, Second Theology of – Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology
- Peter, Second Epistle of – Hastings Dictionary of the Bible
- Peter, Second Epistle of – Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
- Peter, Second Epistle of– International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
- Peter, Epistles of – Kitto’s Popular Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature
Book of Enoch
- The Book of Enoch text
- What is the Book of Enoch?
- Psuedepigrapha – Holman Bible Dictionary
- Enoch in the Bible: Genesis 5:21-22; Luke 3:37; Hebrews 11:5; Jude 1:14
- Enoch – Holman Bible Dictionary
- Article on Genesis 6: Who were the Nephilim (Answers in Genesis)
- The Assumption of Moses (quoted in Jude 1:9)
- The Sufficiency of Scripture for Life and Godliness 2 Peter 1:1-4
- Richard Bauckham, “2 Peter: a supplementary bibliography,” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 25.1 (March 1982): 91-93.
- Michael J. Gilmour, “2 Peter In Recent Research: A Bibliography,” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 42.4 (Dec. 1999): 673-678.
- Donald Guthrie, “Recent Literature on the Petrine Epistles,” Themelios 1.1 (Oct. 1962): 13-23.
- William G. Hupper, “Additions to ‘a 2 Peter bibliography’,” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 23.1 (March 1980): 65-66.
- Michael J. Kruger, “The Authenticity of 2 Peter,” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 42.4 (Dec. 1999): 645-671.
- Terrance Callan, “The Soteriology of the Second Letter of Peter,” Biblica 82 (2001): 549-559.
- Terrance Callan, “The Christology of the Second Letter of Peter,” Biblica 82 (2001): 253-263.
- Terrance Callan, “The Style of the Second Letter of Peter,” Biblica 84 (2003): 202-224.
- Terrance Callan, “Use of the Letter of Jude by the Second Letter of Peter,”Biblica 85 (2004): 42-64.
- J. Daryl Charles, “The Language and Logic of Virtue in 2 Peter 1:5-7,” Bulletin for Biblical Research 8 (1998): 55-73.
- J. Daryl Charles, “The Angels under Reserve in 2 Peter and Jude,” Bulletin for Biblical Research 15.1 (Spring 2005): 39-48.
- Walter M. Dunnett, “The hermeneutics of Jude and 2 Peter: the use of ancient Jewish traditions,” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 31.3 (Sept. 1988): 287-292.
- Michael J. Gilmour, “Reflections on the Authorship of 2 Peter,” The Evangelical Quarterly 73.4 (Oct.-Dec. 2001): 291-309.
- Michael Green, 2 Peter Reconsidered, 1961. London: The Tyndale Press, 1968. Pbk. ISBN: 0851110207. pp.37.
- P. H. R. van Houwelingen, “The Authenticity of 2 Peter: Problems and Possible Solutions,” European Journal of Theology 19.2 (2010): 119-129.
- The Authorship of Second Peter (Hampton Keathley IV)
- Is 2 Peter Peter’s? (Wayne Stiles)
- A Brief Note on a Textual Problem in 2 Peter 3:10 (Dr. Daniel B. Wallace)
- The Canonicity of Second Peter
- A Test Case for Conjectural Emendation: 2 Peter 3:10d – Aaron K Tresham
- Hampton Keathley: The Authorship of Second Peter
- Book of 2 Peter – Bible Survey
- Questions about 2 Peter
- What is the effectual calling/call?
- What is spiritual growth? What is progressive sanctification?
- What is spiritual maturity? How can I become more spiritually mature?
- In what ways are believers partakers of the divine nature?
- What does Peter mean when he tells us to make our calling and election sure in 2 Peter 1:10?
- Is eternal security biblical?
- What is conditional security?
- Can a Christian lose salvation?
- Is there such a thing as an ex-Christian?
- What does it mean that the Bible is infallible? What is biblical infallibility?
- Did the writers of the New Testament regard their writings as Scripture?
- What does 2 Peter 1:20 mean about interpreting Scripture?
- What does it mean that the Bible is God-breathed?
- Why is it important to believe in biblical inerrancy?
- What is the doctrine of the sufficiency of Scripture? What does it mean that the Bible is sufficient?
- Does the Bible contain errors, contradictions, or discrepancies?
- Do I have to believe the Bible is inerrant to be saved?
- Does the inerrancy of the Bible only apply to the original manuscripts?
- What does it mean that the Bible is infallible? What is biblical infallibility?
- How can I recognize a false teacher / false prophet?
- Should Christians judge the teachings of their leaders?
- What is apostasy and how can I recognize it?
- What was it like in the days of Noah?
- What is God’s relationship to time?
- What is the day of the Lord?
- What does the Bible say about the end of the world?
- Is Jesus coming soon?
- What does it mean that heaven and earth will pass away?
- How can I overcome my fear of the end of days?
- What does the Bible mean when it refers to the end of the age?
- Does Bible prophecy predict that there will be a World War 3 (III, three) before the end times?
- What does it mean to grow in grace?
- How can I become more like Christ?
- How can I become more Christ-like?
Bible Study Help
- Bible Study 101
- Interpreting Epistles
- Study Software & websites
- More Maps & Charts
- Greek Word Studies by Precepts Austin
- Books on how to study the Bible