Study questions, maps, charts, outlines, and links to help you study the Old Testament book of Obadiah.
Jump to: Background; ** Maps; ** Key Words; ** Encyclopedias; ** Commentaries; ** Articles; ** GotQuestions ** Next **
- Author: Obadiah, date unknown. No kings are mentioned in Obadiah, making it hard to date.
- Obadiah probably lived in and ministered to the southern kingdom of Judah. Some think Obadiah was a contemporary of Elisha.
- There are 13 Obadiah’s in the Old Testament.
- Obadiah prophesied that Edom would be cut off forever. Edomites disappear from history with the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD.
- Edomites are descendants of Esau who lived in the mountianous area of Seir, south of the Dead Sea.
- The Edomites were bitter enemies of the Jews.
- Edom refused Moses’ request to allow the Israelites to pass through their land on the way to Canaan.
- They opposed Saul and were subdued by David.
- They fought against Jehoshaphat and rebelled against Jehoram.
- In the 5th Center BC, the Nabateans forced the Edomites to leave their native country. The Edomites moved to the souther part of Palestine and became known as the Idumeans.
- Herod the Great was an Indumean. He became King of Judea under Rome in 37 BC and ordered the killing of the male infants in Bethlehem in an attempt to kill the Messiah.
- The Idumeans aided the rebellion of Jerusalem against Rome and were defeated along with the Jews when Titus conquered Jerusalem in 70 AD.
Genre: Understanding Prophecy
John MacArthur: Obadiah -Intro
James van Dine: Analysis of Obadiah
David Malick: An Introduction to the Book of Obadiah
David Malick: An Argument of the Book of Obadiah
JVernon McGee: Amos and Obadiah – Introductory Notes, Outlines
William Orr: Key to Obadiah
Charles Swindoll: Book of Obadiah Overview
Maps from Holman Bible Atlas
The Kingdoms of Israel and Judah
Judah Alone amid International Powers
The Persian Period
Day of the LORD (Obadiah 1:15),
Judah (Obadiah 1:12),
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
Baker’s Evangelical: Obadiah, Theology of
American Tract Society: Obadiah
Bridgeway Bible Dictionary: Obadiah
Holman Bible Dictionary: Obadiah, Book of
Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible: Obadiah, Book of
Kitto’s Popular Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature: Obadiah
Morrish Bible Dictionary: Obadiah
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia: Obadiah
McClintock and Strong: Obadiah
The Nuttall Encyclopedia: Obadiah
1911 Encyclopedia Britannica: Obadiah
Commentaries & Study Bibles
Ligionier.org Top 5 Commentaries: Obadiah
Tim Challies Best Commentaries:
Commentary Reviews: Obadiah
Calvin’s Commentary on the Bible: Obadiah
Matthew Henry: Obadiah
Albert Barnes Notes: Obadiah
Reformation Study Bible Notes: Obadiah
Geneva Study Bible: Obadiah
Precept Austin Commentaries & Sermons: Obadiah
Christian Friend: Elijah and Obadiah
Don Fornter: Obadiah 1:17 Three Great Promises
Charles Feinberg: The Commanding Importance of the Prophetic Scriptures
J Hampton Keathley: The Minor Prophets
Richard Mayhue: The Prophet’s Watchword: Day of the LORD
Jeff Miller: The Day of the Lord