Tools and resources you need to do a word study on the Greek noun for debts, opheilema.
- Strong’s number: G3783
- Greek Lexical Dictionary: Strong’s #3783 – ὀφείλημα
- Greek Word: ὀφείλημα, ατος, τό
- Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
- Transliteration: opheiléma
- Phonetic Spelling: (of-i’-lay-mah)
- Quick Definition: that which is owed, a debt
- Usage: a debt, offense, sin.
- Etymology: from the verb G3784
- NASB Translation: debts (1), what is due (1)
New Testament usage
Mat 6:12-’And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
Rom 4:4-Now to the one who works, his wage is not credited as a favor, but as what is due.
Dt 24:10 “When you make your neighbor a loan of any sort, you shall not enter his house to take his pledge.
Englishman’s Concordance: ὀφείλημα (opheiléma)
- Thayer’s G3783 :that which is owed that which is justly or legally due, a debt; metaph. offense, sin
- Strong’s G3783: From (the alternate of) G3784; something owed, that is, (figuratively) a due.; morally a fault: – debt.
- Mounce G3783: debt, obligation, what is owed
- Related words: G3781 (noun); G3782 (noun); G3784 (verb)
- Hebrew Equivalent Word: Strong #: 4859 ‑ מַשָּׁאָה (mash‑shaw‑aw’); 5382 ‑ נָשָׁה (naw‑shaw’);
- PreceptsAustin: opheilema
- 34 Matthew 6:12-15 The Lord’s Prayer: Forgiveness
- What is justification and why do I need it?
- 20 Matthew 5:7 The merciful
- 22 Matthew 5:9 The peacemakers
- 01 Philemon: How to be a hero, part 1
- 02 Philemon: How to be a hero, part 2
- 22 Romans 14:19-15:13 Handling Disagreement
- 12 Jeremiah 31:31-34 What good is faith?
- 06 Colossians 2:16-23 Passing Judgment
- Does Spiritual Formation work? Answers from Haggai
- Is Spiritual Formation shooting at the right target?
- Does Spiritual Formation seek the right kind of change?
- Prayer and Spiritual Formation: How does it work?
- 06 Romans 5:1-11 The Hope of the Gospel
- Parables of the Widow & the Judge; Pharisee & Taxgatherer