Study questions, maps, charts, outlines, and links to help you study the Old Testament book of Zechariah.
Jump to: Background; ** Maps; ** Key Words; ** Encyclopedias; ** Commentaries; ** Articles; ** GotQuestions ** Next **
- Author: Zechariah was both priest and prophet (Nehemiah 12:12-16).
- Zechariah was born in Babylon and returned to Jerusalem in the first group under Zerubbabel.
- Zechariah was a contemporary of Haggai.
- Chapters 1-8 are dated 520-518 BC.
- Scholars think chapters 9-14 were written at a later date, c. 480-470 BC after the reign of Dairus I (521-486 BC) and during Xerxes reign (485-464 BC). Xerxes married Esther.
- According to Jewish tradition, Zechariah was a member of the Great Synagogue (a predecessor of the Sanhedrin).
- Zechariah was murdered between the temple and the altar (Matthew 23:35).
- 538 – Zerubbabel and first return of the exiles (Ezra 1-6).
- 536 BC – Work on the temple begins (Ezra 3:8).
- 530-520 BC – Work on the temple stops (Ezra 4:24).
- 520 BC – Work on the temple resumes (Ezra 5:2).
- 520 BC – Events of the book of Haggai
- 520-518 BC – Events of Zechariah 1-8.
- 516 BC – Work on the temple is completed.
References to the Messiah in Zechariah
- The Branch or Sprout: Zec 3:8; Zec 6:12; Heb 6:20-7:1
- Entry of Zion’s Lowly King: Zec 9:9-17; Mat 21:4-5; Joh 12:13-16
- Sale of Jesus by Judas: Zec 11:4-14; Mt 27:9.
- Mourning over the Pierced One: Zec 12:10; Joh 19:37
- Fountain opened for sin: Zec 13:1
- The Smitten Servant: Zec 13:7-9
- Glory of Jerusalem the Center of World Worship: Zec 2:10-11; Zec 14:8; Zec 14:20;
- At His Second Coming He will be crowned King: Zec 14:5, 9; Rev. 11:15; 21:27
Genre: Understanding Prophecy
- Introduction to the Prophets
- Introduction to the Exile & Return
- Chart: Bible History at a glance
- Chronology Ezra-Nehemiah
- Blue Letter Bible: Old Testament Timeline
- Jensen’s Survey of the Old Testament
- Bible Atlas: Persia
- Bible Atlas: Babylon
- Bible Atlas: Babylonia
- Bible Atlas: Jerusalem
- Hebrew Calendar
- Timeline of the Babylonian Captivity
- Minor Prophets Quotes in the NT
- BibleHistory.com: List of the Kings of Persia
- Ray C Stedman: Overview of the Book
- John MacArthur: Author, Date, Background
- ESV: Introduction to Zechariah
- ESV: The Global Message of Zechariah
- NIV: Introduction to the Minor Prophets
- NIV: Introduction to Zechariah
- James van Dine: Analysis of Zechariah
- David Malick (Bible.org): An Introduction to the Book of Zechariah
- David Malick: An Argument of the Book of Zechariah
- JVernon McGee: Zechariah – Introductory Notes, Outlines
- Charles Swindoll: Book of Zechariah Overview
Maps from Bible-History.com
ESV Study Bible
- Chronology of Ezra
- Adversaries Hinder Work in Ezra
- Kings of Persia in Ezra–Nehemiah
- Chronology of Nehemiah
- Chronology in Esther
Maps from Holman Bible Atlas
The Kingdoms of Israel and Judah
- The Kingdoms of Israel and Judah (1)
- The Kingdoms of Israel and Judah (2)
- The Kingdoms of Israel and Judah (3)
- The Campaign of Shishak
- Conflicts between Israel and Aram-Damascus
- The Omride Dynasty
- The Golden Ages of the 9th & 8th centuries BCE
- Phoenician Trade and Civilization
- Trade Routes throughout the Middle East
- Elijah and Elisha
- The Revolt of Jehu
- The Rise of Assyria
- Israel & Judah in the days of Jeroboam II and Uzziah
- The Assyrian Empire under Tiglath-Pileser III
- Fall of Samaria and Deportation of Israelites
- The Fall of the Kingdom of Israel
- Assyrian Districts after the Fall of Samaria
- Prophets of the 8th Century BCE
Judah Alone amid International Powers
- Hezekiah’s Preparation for Revolt
- Judah under King Hezekiah
- Hezekiah’s Jerusalem
- Sennacherib’s Campaign against Judah
- Assyria in the 7th century BCE
- The Rise of the Neo-Babylonian Empire
- The Reign of Josiah
- The Districts of Judah under King Josiah
- The Golden Age of King Josiah
- Nebuchadnezzar’s Campaigns against Judah
The Persian Period
- Lord (110x)
- Jerusalem (37x) – Strong’s H3389 in Zec 1:12; Zec 1:14; Zec 1:16; Zec 1:17; Zec 1:19; Zec 2:2; Zec 2:4; Zec 2:12; Zec 3:2; Zec 7:7; Zec 8:3; Zec 8:4; Zec 8:8; Zec 8:15; Zec 8:22; Zec 9:9; Zec 9:10; Zec 12:2; Zec 12:3; Zec 12:5; Zec 12:6; Zec 12:7; Zec 12:8; Zec 12:9; Zec 12:10; Zec 12:11; Zec 13:1; Zec 14:2; Zec 14:4; Zec 14:8; Zec 14:10; Zec 14:11; Zec 14:12; Zec 14:14; Zec 14:16; Zec 14:17; Zec 14:21.
- king (9x) – Strong’s H4428 in Zec 7:1; Zec 9:5; Zec 9:9; Zec 11:6; Zec 14:5; Zec 14:9; Zec 14:10; Zec 14:16; Zec 14:17.
- shepherd (5x) – Strong’s H7462a in Zec 10:2; Zec 11:15; Zec 11:16; Zec 11:17; Zec 13:7.
- word (13x; word of the LORD) – Strong’s H1697 in Zec 1:1; Zec 1:7; Zec 4:6; Zec 4:8; Zec 6:9; Zec 7:1; Zec 7:4; Zec 7:8; Zec 8:1; Zec 8:18; Zec 9:1; Zec 11:11; Zec 12:1.
- branch (3x/2v) – Strong’s H6780 in Zec 3:8; Zec 6:12.
- jealous (3x/2v) – Strong’s H7065 in Zec 1:14; Zec 8:2.
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
- Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology: Zechariah, Theology Of
- American Tract Society: Zechariah
- Bridgeway Bible Dictionary: Zechariah, Book Of; Zechariah
- Easton’s Bible Dictionary: Zechariah
- Fausset Bible Dictionary: Zechariah, the Book Of; Zechariah
- Holman Bible Dictionary: Zechariah, Book Of; Zechariah
- Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible: Zechariah, Book Of; Zechariah
- Kitto’s Popular Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature: Zechariah
- International Standard Bible Encyclopedia: Zechariah, Book Of; Zechariah (1); Zechariah (2)
- McClintock and Strong: Zechariah, Book Of.; Zechariah
- The Nuttall Encyclopedia: Zechariah
- The Jewish Encyclopedia: Zechariah, Book Of
Commentaries & Study Bibles
- Ligionier.org Top 5 Commentaries: Zechariah
- Tim Challies Best Commentaries:
- Commentary Reviews: Zechariah
- Walter Kaiser in The Preacher’s Commentary, Vol 23
- Calvin’s Commentary on the Bible: Zechariah
- Matthew Henry: Zechariah
- Albert Barnes Notes: Zechariah
- Reformation Study Bible Notes: Zechariah
- Geneva Study Bible: Zechariah
- Precept Austin Commentaries & Sermons: Zechariah
- Zechariah Minor Prophet With A Major Message — By Stephen C. Ger
- Israel’s Divine – Human Messiah An Examination Of Zechariah 13:6-7 — Donald L. Odens
- Jack Scofield: Two Terrible Trials
- WJ Beecher: The Prophets and the Promise
- Charles Feinberg: The Commanding Importance of the Prophetic Scriptures
- J Hampton Keathly: Messianic Prophecies
- JHampton Keathly: The Minor Prophets
- Richard Mayhue: The Prophet’s Watchword: Day of the LORD
- William Orr: Keys to Zechariah
- Book of Zechariah – Bible Survey
- What are the Major Prophets and Minor Prophets
- What are the meanings of the various visions in the book of Zechariah
- What does the Bible mean when it refers to the four winds
- Who was the Joshua in Zechariah 3:1-10
- Why is wickedness portrayed as a woman in Zechariah 5:7-8
- What does the Bible mean when it refers to a “Daughter of Zion” (Zechariah 9:9)
- Why would a king ride a donkey instead of a warhorse (Zechariah 9;9-10)
- Is Zechariah 11:12-13 a Messianic prophecy
- Is Zechariah 12:10 a Messianic prophecy-
- Is Zechariah 14:4 a prophecy about the second coming of Christ-
- Where does the Old Testament predict the coming of Jesus Christ: