Understanding the gospel means we must understand the problem that the gospel solves. While the word gospel means “good news,” understanding the gospel begins with bad news: death.
What is death?
- Our modern concept of death is the end of biological viability.
- The New Testament concept of death is the process of physical decay that brings about the end of life.
- Death includes both physical and moral “entropy”.
- We are governed by death because of our rebellion to God.
- Death is the inevitable consequence of sin.
- We are unable to escape this rule of death by ourselves.
- Sin inevitably leads to death.
What is life?
- Life is the opposite of death. It is an existence free from the power, presence and consequences of death.
- “Eternal life” is life in the age of ages which will be an existence free from death.
- Holiness is having a character ruled by life.
- Holiness is the goal of salvation.
- God is the sole source of life because He alone is Holy and can give holiness.
- Holiness inevitably leads to life.
The problem is how do we escape death and gain life.