Study questions, maps, charts, key words, history, background, outlines, and links to help you study
Bible Study: James: The Gospel in Shoe Leather
Background & Outlines
- Map of NT Churches
- Chronology of Paul
- Blue Letter Bible: Chronology of Acts/Epistles
- Blue Letter Bible: Outline of James
- Ray C. Stedman: Overview of the Book
- John MacArthur: Author, Date, Background
Bible Study Tools
- Bible Study 101
- Interpreting Epistles
- Study Software & websites
- More Maps & Charts
- Greek Word Studies by Precepts Austin
- Books on how to study the Bible
Maps from Bible-History.com
- Paul’s 1st Journey
- Paul’s 2nd Journey
- Paul’s 3rd Journey
- Israel in NT Times
- Kingdom of Herod the Great
- Herod’s Kingdom Divided
- New Testament Jerusalem
- New Testament Cities
- Apostles’ Journeys
Maps from Studylight.org
- The Kingdom of Herod Agrippa I
- The Kingdom of Agrippa II
- Pentecost and the Jewish Diaspora
- Expansion of the Early Church in Palestine
Key words in James
Occurrences are based on New American Standard Text. “4x/3v” means the word appears 4 times in 3 verses. “3x” means the word appears 3 times in 3 verses.
- faith (16x/12v) – Strong’s G4102 in Jas 1:3; Jas 1:6; Jas 2:1; Jas 2:5; Jas 2:14; Jas 2:17; Jas 2:18; Jas 2:20; Jas 2:22; Jas 2:24; Jas 2:26; Jas 5:15.
- Lord (15x/14v) – Strong’s G2962 in Jas 1:1; Jas 1:7; Jas 1:12; Jas 2:1; Jas 3:9; Jas 4:10; Jas 4:15; Jas 5:4; Jas 5:7; Jas 5:8; Jas 5:10; Jas 5:11; Jas 5:14; Jas 5:15.
- works (12x/ 9v) – Strong’s G2041 in Jas 2:14; Jas 2:17; Jas 2:18; Jas 2:20; Jas 2:21; Jas 2:22; Jas 2:24; Jas 2:25; Jas 2:26.
- law (11x/7V) – Strong’s G3551 in Jas 1:25; Jas 2:8; Jas 2:9; Jas 2:10; Jas 2:11; Jas 2:12; Jas 4:11.
- judge/judged (5x/3v) – Strong’s G2919 in Jas 2:12; Jas 4:11; Jas 4:12; Jas 5:9; Strong’s G2923 in Jas 4:11; Jas 4:12; Jas 5:9.
- perfect (4x) – Strong’s G5046 in Jas 1:4; Jas 1:17; Jas 1:25; Jas 3:2.
- sin (4x/3v) – Strong’s G266 in Jas 1:15; Jas 2:9; Jas 4:17.
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
- James – Holman Bible Dictionary
- James – Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible
- James – Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
- James – International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
- James – Kitto’s Popular Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature
- James means the same as Jacob “that suppliants” – Hitchcock’s Bible names
- Eusebius: The Martyrdom of James
- James Theology of – Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology
- James, the letter – Holman Bible Dictionary
- James, Epistle of – Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible
- James, Epistle of – Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
- James, Epistle of – International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
- James, Epistle of – Kitto’s Popular Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature
Commentaries & Study Bibles
- Top 5 Commentaries on the Book of James by Keith Mathison – Ligonier.org
- Best Commentaries on James – Tim Challies
- James Commentary Reviews
- Calvin’s Commentary on the Bible: James
- Albert Barnes Notes on the Whole Bible: James
- Alford’s Exegetical Commentary: James
- Matthew Henry’s Complete Complete Commentary on the Bible: James
- Geneva Study Bible: James
- Reformation Study Bible: James
- Precept Austin Commentaries & Sermons: James