Nehemiah is caught in the tension of living between two worlds. He needs an answer from God as to how to resolve the dilemma.
- In 1:4, Nehemiah responds to the news about the exiles in 4 ways. What’s the difference between them? Why would he decide to include all 4?
- What are the main points of the prayer in chapter 1?
- Why do you think Nehemiah addressed God in this particular way? (vs. 5-6)
- Why does Nehemiah describe the people of Israel as he does in vs. 6-7?
- Nehemiah quotes the Old Testament in vs. 8-9. (Lev. 26:33; Deut 30:1-3) Why do you think he quoted these passages?
- Given the content of this prayer, why do you think Nehemiah finishes with the simple request in vs. 10-11?
What traits in Nehemiah’s prayer life (as seen in Chapter 1), would you like to see in your prayer life?
For more detail and explanation, please listen to the podcast.
Previous: 01 Nehemiah 1:1-3 Introduction
Photo used here under Flickr Creative Commons.