Study questions, maps, charts, key words, history, background, outlines, and links to help you study the Old Testament book of Joel.
Jump to: Background; ** Maps; ** Key Words; ** Encyclopedias; ** Commentaries; ** Articles; ** GotQuestions ** Next **
- Author: Joel
- Date: Unknown.
- Possible Dates: a) Early Preexilic: Some think Joel was an early prophet to the southern kingdom of Judah during the reign of King Joash (835-796 BC); b) Late Preexilic (609-586 BC); or c) Postexilic (515-350 BC).
- The Hebrew Canon places Joel among the minor prophets after Ezekiel & Hosea and before Amos.
- The Greek canon places Joel after Daniel and Hosea and before Amos.
- I suspect the dating is ambiguous because Joel is relevant to any time of lament or trouble.
- Joel tells the nations that even though some disasters have struck, it is not too late to repent.
- Chapter 1:1-5 – A plague destroys the land
- Chapter 1:6-2:27 – Vision of the invading army
- Chapter 2:28-3:21 – Future judgment and deliverance
- To warn Judah of the coming Day of the Lord when judgment will get worse for Judah and the nations of the world.
- To urge Judah to repent of their sins.
- To proclaim a future time of complete restoration.
Genre: Understanding Prophecy
John MacArthur: Introduction to Joel
NIV: Introduction to Joel
NIV: The Minor Prophets
ESV: Introduction to Joel
James van Dine: Analysis of Joel
David Malick: An Introduction to the Book of Joel
David Malick: An Argument of the Book of Joel
JVernon McGee: Hosea and Joel – Introductory Notes, Outlines
Charles Swindoll: Book of Joel Overview
Maps from Holman Bible Atlas
The Kingdoms of Israel and Judah
Judah Alone amid International Powers
The Persian Period
- Locust, Zion, day of the Lord (in that day, those days), return, I will, never again, then, now, nations/nation.
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology: Joel, Theology Of
American Tract Society: Joel
Bridgeway Bible Dictionary: Joel
Holman Bible Dictionary: Joel
Kitto’s Popular Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature: Joel
McClintock and Strong: Joel, Book Of.
The Nuttall Encyclopedia:Joel
The 1901 Jewish Encyclopedia: Joel, Book Of
Commentaries & Study Bibles
Ligionier.org Top 5 Commentaries: Joel
Tim Challies Best Commentaries:
Commentary Reviews: Joel
Calvin’s Commentary on the Bible: Joel
Matthew Henry: Joel
Albert Barnes Notes: Joel
Reformation Study Bible Notes: Joel
Geneva Study Bible: Joel
Precept Austin Commentaries & Sermons: Joel
Duane Garrett: The Structure Of Joel
J Hampton Keathley: The Minor Prophets
Tom Hawkins: Joel- Introduction, Outline, and Argument
Harold Hosch: Joel- The Concept of Prophetic Time in the Book of Joel
Richard Mayhue: The Prophet’s Watchword: Day of the LORD