Tools and resources you need to do a word study on the Greek noun for trial or temptation: peirasmos
πειρασμός, οῦ, ὁ, peirasmos
- Strong’s number: G3986
- Greek Lexical Dictionary: Strong’s #3986 – πειρασμός
- Greek Word: πειρασμός, οῦ, ὁ
- Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
- Transliteration: peirasmos
- Phonetic Spelling: (pi-ras-mos’)
- Quick Definition: an experiment, a trial, temptation
- Usage: (a) trial, probation, testing, being tried, (b) temptation, (c) calamity, affliction.
- Etymology: from the verb G3985 / peirázō
- NASB Translation: temptation (12), testing (2), trial (3), trials (4).
New Testament usage
Mat 6:13; Mat 26:41; Mar 14:38; Luk 4:13; Luk 8:13; Luk 11:4; Luk 22:28; Luk 22:40; Luk 22:46; Act 20:19; 1Co 10:13; Gal 4:14; 1Ti 6:9; Heb 3:8; Jas 1:2; Jas 1:12; 1Pe 1:6; 1Pe 4:12; 2Pe 2:9; Rev 3:10.
πειρασμός is used 7 times in the Septuagint (LXX)
Exo 17:7; Dt 4:34; Dt 6:16; Dt 7:19; Dt 9:22; Dt 29:2; Psa 94:8.
Englishman’s Concordance: peirasmos
- Thayer’s G3986: an experiment, attempt, trial, proving
- Strong’s G3986: From G3985; a putting to proof (by experiment [of good], experience [of evil], solicitation, discipline or provocation); by implication adversity: – temptation, X try.
- Mounce G3986: test; trial; temptation
- Related words: G3985 (verb); G3984 (noun); G3987 (verb);
- Hebrew Equivalent Word: Strong #: H4531 ‑ מַסָּה (mas‑saw’); H6045 ‑ עִנְיָן (in‑yawn’);
- PreceptsAustin: peirasmos
Related Word Study: test, peirazo (verb)
- Temptations of Jesus – Wednesday in the Word
- 02 James 1:1-8 Why does God test our faith?
- 02 1 Peter 1:1-13 Understanding Our Living Hope
- 10 Matthew 4:1-4 1st Temptation: Stones to bread
- 11 Matthew 4:5-7 2nd Temptation: Jump from the pinnacle
- 12 Matthew 4:8-11 3rd Temptation: Bow down
- 24 Matthew 5:17-20 Surpassing the Pharisees
- 35 Matthew 6:13 The Lord’s Prayer: Temptation
- 08 1Corinthians 3:1-4 Who are the carnal Christians?
- 25 1Corinthians 10:1-12 Take heed lest you fall
- 26 1Corinthians 10:13 Escaping temptation?
- 18 Why have you forsaken me? Mark 15:22-41
- 06 Isaiah 50:4-11 School of the Servant
- Gotquestions: What are the keys to resisting temptation?
- Water from the Rock, RC Sproul
- The Temptation of Jesus, Keith Mathison
- Take Your Son, RC Sproul
- Introduction to John Owen’s Overcoming Sin and Temptation
- Mortification of Sin – John Owen
- Of Temptation – John Owen
- Indwelling Sin – John Owen
- Triumphing Over Temptation – John MacArthur