Tools and resources you need to do a word study on the Greek word for stumble or fall away: skandalizō
- Strong’s number: G4624
- Greek Lexical Dictionary: Strong’s #4624 – σκανδαλίζω
- Greek Word: σκανδαλίζω
- Part of Speech: Verb
- Transliteration: skandalizó
- Phonetic Spelling: skan-dal-id’-zo
- Quick Definition: to put a snare (in the way), to cause to stumble, to give offense
- Usage: I cause to stumble, cause to sin, cause to become indignant, shock, offend.
- Etymology: from G4625 (noun)
- NASB Translation: cause (1), cause…to stumble (2), causes (2), causes…to stumble (6), fall away (7), falls away (1), led into sin (1), makes…stumble (2), offend (1), offended (1), stumble (3), stumbling (1), take (1), take offense (1), took offense (2).
New Testament usage
Strong’s #4624 – σκανδαλίζω – 32X in 27 verses
Mat 5:29; Mat 5:30; Mat 11:6; Mat 13:21; Mat 13:57; Mat 15:12; Mat 17:27; Mat 18:6; Mat 18:8; Mat 18:9; Mat 24:10; Mat 26:31; Mat 26:33; Mar 4:17; Mar 6:3; Mar 9:42; Mar 9:43; Mar 9:45; Mar 9:47; Mar 14:27; Mar 14:29; Luk 7:23; Luk 17:2; Joh 6:61; Joh 16:1; 1Co 8:13; 2Co 11:29.
No uses in the Septuagint LXX.
Englishman’s Concordance: σκανδαλίζω (skandalizó)
- Thayer’s G4624: to put a stumbling block or impediment in the way, upon which another may trip and fall, metaph. to offend; to entice to sin; to cause a person to begin to distrust and desert one whom he ought to trust and obey; to cause to fall away; to be offended in one, i.e. to see in another what I disapprove of and what hinders me from acknowledging his authority; to cause one to judge unfavorably or unjustly of another; since one who stumbles or whose foot gets entangled feels annoyed: to cause one displeasure at a thing; to make indignant; to be displeased, indignant
- Strong’s G4624: To “scandalize”; from G4625; to entrap, that is, trip up (figuratively stumble [transitively] or entice to sin, apostasy or displeasure): – (make to) offend.
- Mounce G4624: to cause to sin, cause to fall (into sin), offend; to fall away (from the faith), go astray; to take offense
- Related words: skandalon G4624
- Hebrew Equivalent Word: Strong #: 3782 ‑ כָּשַׁל (kaw‑shal’);
- PreceptsAustin: skandalizo
- 21 Romans 14:1-20 The problem of Christian taboos
- 22 Romans 14:19-15:13 Handling Disagreement
- 26 Matthew 5:27-30 Lust
- 25 1Corinthians 10:1-12 Take heed lest you fall
- 26 1Corinthians 10:13 Escaping temptation?
- 27 1Corinthians 10:14-11:1 Flee idolatry
- 04 1 Peter 2:1-10 Living Stones
- 10 2 Peter 2:13-16 Balaam and the false teachers
- 06 Philippians 2:12-13 Work out your salvation
- 08 Jeremiah 20:7-18 Why is life so hard
- Psalm 107 The Lord delivers us from manifold troubles