I hope you’re enjoying 1Corinthians as much as I am! I think every Bible teacher and serious Bible student should understand 1Corinthians 1-4, not only for their content, but for what they teach us about how to study the Bible. I’ve particularly enjoyed your questions and comments! Thanks for listening and emailing!
We contrast 2 fundamental approaches to studying this letter: One perspective finds little value in some of the practical problems. The other perspective leads to wisdom that can be applied to any situation.
The first issue Paul tackles is division in the church. But he’s more interested in the reasons why the factions are developing. We have 3 kinds of clues which reveal the deeper issue Paul wants to discuss.
As part of the deeper issue of why factions are developing in the Corinthian church, Paul tells us he’s grateful that he baptized few people in Corinth. His discussion gives us a window into the place of baptism.
Paul argues that those who live in rebellion to God will see the cross as foolishness. There’s no way to spin the gospel to change that.
As he discusses this issue of changing the gospel message to make it more attractive to the world, Paul says let’s consider what happened when I first preached the gospel to you in Corinth. Let’s consider your calling. What we can learn from it? Our boast is that we belong to God — not because we were smart enough to find Him; but because He was merciful enough to find us.
- NEW: Titus Study questions, maps, charts, key words, history, background, outlines, and links to help you study
- Updated: 2 Corinthians resources updated
- NEW: Free books online by Ray and Elaine Stedman My favorites are A Woman’s Worth by Elaine and Body Life by Ray. Now they are free online.
- Which translation of the Bible should I use? Since every translation is an interpretation of the original language, you should consult several translations of different types when studying the Bible. Bibles fall on an interpretation scale. It will improve your study if you know the difference and have one of each type.
- 5 Ideas you should NOT believe about your English Bible What do you believe about your English translation of the Bible? Here are 5 ideas you should NOT hold.
If you’ve been blessed by the WitW podcast, I have 3 favors to ask:
- subscribe to the podcast,
- leave a positive review on your favorite podcast platform,
- and tell a friend.
If you can only do one, telling a friend is best. Thanks for listening!