Study questions, maps, charts, key words, history, background, outlines, and links to help you study Paul’s epistle to the Philippians.
Bible Study: Philippians: Choose Life
Jump to: Background; ** Maps; ** Key Words; ** Encyclopedias; ** Commentaries; ** Articles; ** GotQuestions ** Next **
- Author: Apostle Paul
- Date: Written during Roman imprisonment around 60-61 AD
- Purpose: to express his joy that their faith has led them to support him financially; to report to them on the circumstances of his imprisonment; to encourage them to continue to living lives marked by obedient persevering faith.
- 1:1-2 – Greeting
- 1:3-11 – Thanksgiving and prayer
- 1:12-2:30 News and instructioins
- 3:1-21 – Warnings about false teachers
- 4:1-9 – Exhortations
- 4:10-20 – Gratitude for gift
- 4:21-31 – Concluding remarks
Genre: Understanding Epistles
Background & Outlines
- Philippians NASB Study Text
- Philippians ESV Study Text
- Analytical Outline: Philippians
- Chronology of Paul
- Paul’s use of the Old Testament
- Blue Letter Bible: Chronology of Acts/Epistles
- Bible Atlas: Philippi
- Blue Letter Bible: Philippians Outline
- Ray C. Stedman: Overview of the Book
- John MacArthuer: Author, Date, Background
- NIV: Philippians Introduction
- ESV: Introduction with Timeline and Map
- ESV: The Global Message of Philippians
- Myer Pearlman (1935): Philippians – Through the Bible Book by Book
- James Van Dine: Intro to Philippians
- James Gray (1906): Philippians – Synthetic Bible Study
- J Vernon McGee: Philippians – Notes and Outlines
- William Orr: Philippians – Keys to the NT
- Charles Swindoll: Philippians Overview
Maps from Bible-History.com
- Paul’s 1st Journey
- Paul’s 2nd Journey
- Paul’s 3rd Journey
- Israel in NT Times
- Kingdom of Herod the Great
- Herod’s Kingdom Divided
- New Testament Cities
- Apostles’ Journeys
Maps from Studylight.org
- Paul’s First Missionary Journey
- Paul’s Second Missionary Journey
- Paul’s Third Missionary Journey
- Paul’s Arrest and Imprisonment
- Paul’s Voyage to Rome
ESV: Philippi in the time of Paul – nice color map of the city
Key Words in Phillipans
Occurrences are based on New American Standard Text. “4x/3v” means the word appears 4 times in 3 verses. “3x” means the word appears 3 times in 3 verses.
- Christ/in Christ (37x/35v) – Strong’s G5547 in Php 1:1; Php 1:2; Php 1:6; Php 1:8; Php 1:10; Php 1:11; Php 1:13; Php 1:15; Php 1:17; Php 1:18; Php 1:19; Php 1:20; Php 1:21; Php 1:23; Php 1:26; Php 1:27; Php 1:29; Php 2:1; Php 2:5; Php 2:11; Php 2:16; Php 2:21; Php 2:30; Php 3:3; Php 3:7; Php 3:8; Php 3:9; Php 3:12; Php 3:14; Php 3:18; Php 3:20; Php 4:7; Php 4:19; Php 4:21; Php 4:23.
- rejoice (8x/6v) – Strong’s G5463 in Php 1:18; Php 2:17; Php 2:18; Php 2:28; Php 3:1; Php 4:4; / joy (5x) – Strong’s G5479 in Php 1:4; Php 1:25; Php 2:2; Php 2:17; Php 2:18; Php 2:29; Php 4:1.
- gospel (9x/8v) – Strong’s G2009 in Php 1:5; Php 1:7; Php 1:12; Php 1:16; Php 1:27; Php 2:22; Php 4:3; Php 4:15.
- Spirit/spirit (8x) – Strong’s G4151 in Php 1:19; Php 1:27; Php 2:1; Php 3:3; Php 4:5; Php 4:23; Strong’s G4761 in Php 2:2; Strong’s G2473 in Php 2:20; (4:5 implied)
- glory (8x)s – Strong’s G1391 inPhp 1:11; Php 2:11; Php 3:19; Php 3:21; Php 4:19; Php 4:20; Strong’s G2745 in Php 2:16; Strong’s G2744 in Php 3:3.
- mind (4x) – Strong’s G5590 in Php 1:27; Strong’s G5426 in Php 2:2; Strong’s G5012a in Php 2:3; Strong’s G1380 in Php 3:4 / attitude (3x/2v) – Strong’s G5426 in Php 2:5; Php 3:15.
- love (4x) – Strong’s G26 in Php 1:9; Php 1:16; Php 2:1; Php 2:2.
- death (5x) – Strong’s G2288 in Php 1:20; Php 2:8; Php 2:27; Php 2:30; Php 3:10.
- imprisonment (4x) – Strong’s G1199 in Php 1:7; Php 1:13; Php 1:14; Php 1:17.
- all (23x) – Strong’s G3956 in Php 1:1; Php 1:3; Php 1:4; Php 1:7; Php 1:8; Php 1:9; Php 1:20; Php 1:25; Php 2:14; Php 2:17; Php 2:21; Php 2:26; Php 2:28; Php 2:29; Php 3:8; Php 3:21; Php 4:5; Php 4:7; Php 4:13; Php 4:19; Php 4:22.
Commentaries & Study Bibles
- Top 5 Commentaries on Philippians – Ligonier.org
- Best Commentaries on Philippians – Tim Challies
- Commentary Reviews: Philippians
- Calvin’s Commentary on the Bible: Philippians
- Albert Barnes Notes on the Whole Bible: Philippians (1870)
- Alfords Exegetical Commentary: Philippians
- Matthew Henry’s Complete Commentary on the Bible: Philippians
- Geneva Study Bible: Philippians
- Reformation Study Bible Notes: Philippians
- Precept Austin Commentaries & Sermons: Philippians
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
City of Philippi
- Philippi – Holman Bible Dictionary
- Philippi – Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible
- Philippi – Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
- Philippi – International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
- Philippi – Kitto’s Popular Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature
- Wikipedia – Philippi
- Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology: Philippians – Theology of –
- Holman Bible Dictionary Philippians
- Hastings’ Dictionary of the NT Philippians Epistle to the
- Easton’s Bible Dictionary Philippians, Epistle to
- Fausset Bible Dictionary Philippians, the Epistle to the
- Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible Philippians, Epistle to
- Smith Bible Dictionary Philippians, Epistle to the
- International Standard Bible Encyclopedia Philippians, the Epistle to
- McClintock and Strong’s Bible Encyclopedia Philippians, Epistle to The,
- The Nuttall Encyclopedia Philippians, Epistle to the
- 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica Epistle to the Philippians
- Kitto Biblical Cyclopedia Philippians epistle to the
- McClintock and Strong’s Bible Encyclopedia Philippians
- Morrish Bible Dictionary Philippians, Epistle to the
- Paul, the Apostle – Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology
- Paul – Holman Bible Dictionary
- Paul, the Apostle – Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible
- Paul – Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
- Paul, the Apostle – International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
- Paul- Kitto’s Popular Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature
- Timothy – Holman Bible Dictionary
- Timothy – Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible
- Timothy – International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
- Timothy – Kitto’s Popular Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature
- Timothy in Acts: Acts 16:1-3; Acts 17:14-15; Acts 18:5; Acts 19:22; Acts 20:4
- Epaphroditus – Holman Bible Dictionary
- Epaphras – Holman Bible Dictionary
- Epaphroditus – Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible
- Epaphras – Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible
- Epaphroditus – Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
- Epaphras – Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
- Epaphroditus – International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
- Epaphras – International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
- Epaphroditus – Kitto’s Popular Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature
- Epaphras – Kitto’s Popular Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature
- Epaphras in NT: Colossians 1:7, 4:12; Philemon 1:23; Philippians 2:25, 4:18
- Bateman, Herbert W. “Were the Opponents at Philippi Necessarily Jewish?”
- McClain, Alva J. “Doctrine of the Kenosis in Philippians 2:5-8,”
- Murray, George W. “Paul’s Corporate Witness in Philippians,”
- Swift, Robert C. “The Theme and Structure of Philippians
- Philippians 2:5-11 Hymn or Exalted Pauline Prose: Gordon D Fee
- Giving and Receiving in Paul’s Epistles – Gerald Peterman
- Further Reflections on Philippians 2:5-11 – C F D Moule
- Fulfilling The Gospel: The Scope Of The Pauline Mission – Paul Bowers
- To What End Exegesis? Reflections on Exegesis and Spirituality in Philippians 4:10-20 – Gordon D Fee
- Epaphroditus’ Sickness and the Letter to the Philippians – Colin O Buchanan
- The Interpretation of Philippians 2:5 – A T Hanson
- Does Philippians 1:6 Guarantee Progressive Sanctification? Part 2 – John Hart (another site)
- Philippians 2:5-11 An Early Christian Confession – R P Martin
- A Further Note on Philippians 2:5 – Michael Hollis
- The Meaning Of harpagmos In Philippians 2:6 – An Overlooked Datum For Functional Inequality Within The Godhead – Dennis Burk
- The Epistle to the Philippians – An Expanded Paraphrase – F F Bruce
- Philippians 3:11 – If By Any Means… – Donald L Norbie
- The Kenosis Question – Thomas A Thomas
- The Role Of Suffering In The Mission Of Paul And The Mission Of The Church – Robert L. Plummer
- Paul and Christian Unity: A Formal Analysis of Philippians 2:1-4 – David Alan Black
- Philippians 3:11- Attaining the Resurrection (Problem Texts) – F F Bruce
- On the Articular Infinitive in Philippians 2:6 – Denny Burk
- Sending Letters in the Ancient World: Paul and the Philippians – Stephen R Llewelyn
- Partnership in the Gospel: The Role of Women in the Church at Philippi – A Boyd Luter
- Philippians 2:5-11 The Christ Hymn in Philippians 2:5-11 A Review Article – I Howard Marshall
- Some Reflections on New Testament Hymns – Ralph P Martin
- Philippians: From People to the Letter – Peter Oakes
- The Pattern of Christ’s Sufferings: Colossians 1:24 and Philippians 3:10-11 – Andrew Perriman
- Paul’s Letter to the Philippians in Light of the Disunity in the Church – Davorin Peterlin
- Thankless Thanks: The Epistolary Social Convention in Philippians 4:10-20 Gerald W Peterman
- Caesarea, Rome, and the Captivity Epistles – Bo Reicke
- Philippians 3:6 – Blameless Before God” – Alan Thompson
- He Emptied Himself – Robert E Wilson
- Christian Identity and Christian Worship in Philippians 3:3 – Andrew V Snider
- Self-Emptying (Philippians 2:5-8) TV Philip
- The Mind of Christ (Philippians 2:3-11) TV Philip
- Questions about Philippians
- Book of Philippians – Bible Survey
- What are the prison epistles?
- How can I experience joy in my Christian life?
- What does it mean “to live is Christ”?
- What does it mean that “to die is gain” (Philippians 1:21)?
- What does it mean to do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit?
- What does the Bible say about selfishness?
- What does the Bible say about attitude? (humility?)
- What does it mean and when will it happen that every knee shall bow?
- What does it mean to work out salvation with fear and trembling?
- What is progressive sanctification?
- Who was Epaphroditus in the Bible?
- What is the peace that passes all understanding?
- What is the peace of God, and how can I experience it?
- Can I really do all things through Christ?