Study questions, maps, charts, key words, history, background, outlines, and links to help you study Paul’s letter to the Ephesians.
Bible Study: Ephesians: Our New Life in Christ
Jump to: Background; ** Maps; ** Key Words; ** Encyclopedias; ** Commentaries; ** Articles; ** GotQuestions ** Next **
- Author: Paul, the Apostle
- Date: 60-61 AD; Paul is in prison in Rome.
- Purpose: Spell out the implications of the church as revealed in Christ
- Key Themes: Roles of the church; The church is not viewed as an institution, but a collection of believers; The church is the place where God’ reconciling will for the wold is manifest.
- Chapters 1-3 The new community in the purpose of God (doctrine)
- Chapters 4-6 The new community in the life of believers (application)
Genre: Understanding Epistles
Background & Outlines
- Ephesians Study Text NASB
- Ephesians Study Text ESV
- Ephesians At a Glance
- Paul’s use of the Old Testament
- Map of NT Churches
- Chronology of Paul
- Blue Letter Bible: Chronology of Acts/Epistles
- Bible Atlas: Ephesus
- Blue Letter Bible: Ephesians Outline
- Ray Stedman Overview: Ephesians: The Calling of the Saints
- John MacArthur: Author, Date, Background
- Paul in Ephesus: Acts 18-20
- James Van Dine: Intro to Ephesians
- Ephesians Introduction – J Vernon McGee
- Ephesians Introduction – Myer Pearlman
- Keys to Ephesians – William Orr
- Synthetic Bible Study on Ephesians – James M Gray (1906)
- Ephesians: Queen of the Epistles – The Mystical Body of Christ– Wil Pounds
- Ephesians Study Guide – by Chuck Smith
Maps from Bible-History.com
- Paul’s 1st Journey
- Paul’s 2nd Journey
- Paul’s 3rd Journey
- Israel in NT Times
- Kingdom of Herod the Great
- Herod’s Kingdom Divided
- New Testament Cities
- Apostles’ Journeys
Maps from Studylight.org
- Paul’s First Missionary Journey
- Paul’s Second Missionary Journey
- Paul’s Third Missionary Journey
- Paul’s Arrest and Imprisonment
- Paul’s Voyage to Rome
- The Kingdom of Herod Agrippa I
- The Kingdom of Agrippa II
- Pentecost and the Jewish Diaspora
- Expansion of the Early Church in Palestine
Key Words in Ephesians
Occurrences are based on New American Standard Text. “4x/3v” means the word appears 4 times in 3 verses. “3x” means the word appears 3 times in 3 verses.
- Christ/in Christ (46x/43v); God (33x); Lord (23x); in Him/through Him/etc. (23x/18v); Spirit (14x); Father (10x)
- love (15x/14v) – Strong’s G26 in Eph 1:4; Eph 1:15; Eph 2:4; Eph 3:17; Eph 3:19; Eph 4:2; Eph 4:15; Eph 4:16; Eph 5:2; Eph 5:33; Eph 6:23. Strong’s G25 in Eph 5:25; Eph 5:28; Eph 6:24
- grace (12x) – Strong’s G5485 in Eph 1:1, Eph 1:5, Eph 1:7, Eph 2:5, Eph Eph 2:7, Eph 2:8, Eph 3:2, Eph 3:7, Eph 3:8, Eph 4:7, Eph 4:29, Eph 6:24.
- glory (9x) – Strong’s G1391 in Eph 1:6, Eph 1:12, Eph 1:14, Eph 1:18, Eph 3:13, Eph 3:16, Eph 3:21; Strong’s G1741 in Eph 5:27.
- riches (5xs) – Strong’s G4149 in Eph 1:7; Eph 1:18; Eph 2:7; Eph 3:8; Eph 3:16; rich (1x) – Strong’s G4145 in Eph 2.4.
- in the heavenly places (5x) – Eph 1:3; Eph 1:20; Eph 2:6; Eph 3:10; Eph 6:12.; heavenly – Strong’s G2032
- body (9x/8v) – Strong’s G4983 in Eph 1:23; Eph 2:16; Eph 4:4; Eph 4:12; Eph 4:16; Eph 5:23; Eph 5:30; Strong’s G4954 in Eph 3:6.
- church (9x) – Strong’s G1577 in Eph 1:22; Eph 3:10; Eph 3:21; Eph 5:23; Eph 5:24; Eph 5:25; Eph 5:27; Eph 5:29; Eph 5:32.
- Gentiles (5x) – Strong’s G1484 in Eph 2:11; Eph 3:1; Eph 3:6; Eph 3:8; Eph 4:17.
- flesh (9x/7v) – Strong’s G4561 in Eph 2:3; Eph 2:11; Eph 2:15; Eph 5:29; Eph 5:31; Eph 6:5; Eph 6:12.
- formerly (5x) – Strong’s G4218 in Eph 2:2; Eph 2:3; Eph 2:11; Eph 2:13; Eph 5:8; former – Strong’s G4387 in Eph 4:22.
- walk (7x/6v) – Strong’s G4043 in Eph 2:10; Eph 4:1; Eph 4:17; Eph 5:2; Eph 5:8; Eph 5:15.
- power (6x) – Strong’s G1411 in Eph 1:19; Eph 1:21; Eph 3:7; Eph 3:16; Eph 3:20; Strong’s G1849 in Eph 2:2.
- redemption (3x) – Strong’s G629 in Eph 1:7; Eph 1:14; Eph 4:30.
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
City of Ephesus
- Ephesus – Holman Bible Dictionary
- Ephesus – Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible
- Ephesus – Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
- Ephesus – International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
- Ephesus – Kitto’s Popular Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature
- Ephesians, Theology of – Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology
- Ephesians, Book of – Holman Bible Dictionary
- Ephesians, Epistle to – Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
- Ephesians, Epistle to – Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible
- Ephesians, Epistle to – International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
- Ephesians, Epistle to – Kitto’s Popular Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature
- The Epistle to the Ephesians– Charles Smith Lewis in the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
- Theology of Ephesians – John McRay in Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology
- Paul, the Apostle – Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology
- Paul – Holman Bible Dictionary
- Paul, the Apostle – Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible
- Paul – Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
- Paul, the Apostle – International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
- Paul- Kitto’s Popular Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature
- Tychicus – Holman Bible Dictionary
- Tychicus – Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible
- Tychicus – International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
- Tychicus – Kitto’s Popular Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature
- Tychicus in NT: Acts 20:4, Ephesians 6:21; Colossians 4:7; 2 Timothy 4:12; Titus 3:12
Commentaries & Study Bibles
- Top 5 Commentaries on Ephesians – Ligonier.org
- Best Commentaries on Ephesians – Tim Challies
- Commentary Reviews: Ephesians
- Calvin’s Commentary on the Bible: Ephesians
- Albert Barnes Notes on the Whole Bible: Ephesians
- Alfords Exegetical Commentary: Ephesians
- Matthew Henry’s Complete Commentary on the Bible: Ephesians
- Geneva Study Bible: Ephesians
- Reformation Study Bible Notes: Ephesians
- Precept Austin Commentaries & Sermons: Ephesians
- Chuck Smith: Ephesians Study Guide
- Irving Jensen’s Chart of Ephesians 1-3 (Page 63)
- Precept Austin: Ephesians Study Questions 1
My favorite commentaries
- The Message of Ephesians by John Stott
- Ephesians by John MacArthur
- The Epistle to the Ephesians: A Verse by Verse Exposition by FF Bruce
- Analysis of Ephesians 1:3-14 “In Him”, etc – Irving Jensen
- Irving Jensen’s Chart of Ephesians 1-3 and then Ephesians 4-6 – Goto page 63
- James Rosscup: Importance of Prayer in Ephesians
- John Bunyan: The Saint’s Knowledge of Christ’s Love
- Jack Crabtree: Divine Determinism and the Problem of Evil
- What Does It Mean to Be Filled With the Spirit? A Biblical Investigation – Andreas Köstenberger
- Cult Prostitution In New Testament Ephesus- A Reappraisal- S. M. Baugh
- The Peculiarities of Ephesians and the Ephesian Address – David A Black
- Orgizesthe in Ephesians 4:26: Command or Condition – Daniel B Wallace
- Ephesians 1:3-4 and the Nature of Election – Leslie James Crawford
- Ephesians 2:3 and Peccatum Originale – David L Turner
- Ephesians 2:14-16 – A History of Recent Interpretation – Michael S Moore
- What the OT Prophets Did Not Know- The Mystery of the Church in Eph 3:2-13 – Sigurd Grindheim
- “Equipping Ministry in Ephesians 4? T David Gordon
- Paul’s Use of Psalm 68:18 in Ephesians 4;8 – Gary V Smith
- Inheritance in Paul and Ephesians – D R Denton
- Ephesians 5:18 Being the Fullness of God in Christ by the Spirit – Timothy Gombis
- Ephesians 5:18-20 and Mealtime Propriety – Peter W Gosnell
- The Structure of Authority in Marriage: An Examination of Hupotasso and Kephale in Ephesians 5:21-33 – David M Park
- Ephesians 5:23 Headship in Ephesians – Stephen Clark
- Ephesians 6:12 The True Nature of the Believer’s Conflict – David Searle
- Ephesians 6:12 Struggling Against the Rulers, Against the Authorities – David Searle
- Ephesians 6:12 The Powers of Darkness – David Searle
- Does Kephale (“Head”) Mean “Source” or “Authority Over” in Greek Literature – A Survey of 2,336 Examples – Wayne Grudem
- The Meaning of Kephale (“Head”): An Evaluation of New Evidence, Real and Alledged – Wayne Grudem
- A Radically New Humanity: The Function of the Haustafel in Ephesians – Timothy G Gombis
- The Homonoia Coins of Asia Minor and Ephesians 1:21 – John Paul Lotz
- Paul’s Mystery in Ephesians 3 – W Harold Mark
- The Use of Israel’s Scriptures in Ephesians – Thorsten Moritz
- The Relationship Between Paul’s Gospel of “All One in Christ Jesus” (Galatians 3:28) and the “Household Codes” (Ephesians 5:22-6:9) – Stephen Motyer
- The Importance of Prayer in Ephesians – James Rosscup
- Slavery and the New Testament Equality and Submissiveness – Michael Parsons
- Caesarea, Rome, and the Captivity Epistles – Bo Reicke
- The Eschatology of Ephesians – Stephen S Smalley
- From Slaves to Sons! Tim J R Trumper
- Approaching ‘Personhood’ in the New Testament, with Special Reference to Ephesians – Max Turner
- Book of Ephesians – Bible Survey
- Questions about Ephesians
- Ephesians 1:3 What are spiritual blessings
- Ephesians 1:13 What is the seal of God? What is the seal of the Holy Spirit?
- Ephesians 1:20 What are the heavenly places/realms?
- Ephesians 2:2 What does it mean that Satan is prince of the power of the air?
- Ephesians 2:8-9 What does it mean that salvation is by grace through faith?
- Ephesians 4:5 What does it mean that there is only one baptism?
- Ephesians 4:15 What does it mean to speak the truth in love?
- Ephesians 4:29 What does the Bible say about anger?
- Ephesians 5:18 How can I be filled with the Holy Spirit? How can I overcome ministry burnout?
- Who is the Holy Spirit?
- What is the power of the Holy Spirit?
- Will the Holy Spirit ever leave a believer?
- What is the indwelling of the Holy Spirit?
- When / How do we receive the Holy Spirit?
- Should we worship the Holy Spirit?
- Ephesians 5:19 What are the psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs mentioned in Ephesians 5:19 and Colossians 3:16?
- Ephesians 5:22 Does a wife have to submit to her husband?
- Ephesians 5:25 What does it mean that husbands are to love their wives?
- Ephesians 6:1-3 What does the Bible say about disobedient children?
- Ephesians 6:1-3 What does the Bible say about obeying parents?
- Ephesians 6:1-3 What does it mean to honor my father and mother?
- Ephesians 6:1-3 What does the Bible say about disobedient children?
- What does the Bible say about spiritual warfare?
- What can I do when I am under spiritual attack?
- Does a believer have authority over Satan?
- Ephesians 6:10 What does it mean to be strong in the Lord
- Ephesians 6:11 What are the wiles of the devil
- Ephesians 6:12 What are the heavenly places/realms?
- What does it mean that Satan is prince of the power of the air
- Ephesians 6:12 What are principalities and powers?
- Ephesians 6:13-17 What is the full armor of God?
- What does it mean to have peace with God?
- Ephesians 6:14 What is the belt of truth?
- Ephesians 6:14 What is the breastplate of righteousness?
- Ephesians 6:15 What is the readiness of the gospel of peace?
- Ephesians 6:16 What is the shield of faith?
- Ephesians 6:17 What is the sword of the Spirit?
- Ephesians 6:17 What is the helmet of salvation?
- Ephesians 6:18 What is a prayer of supplication?
- Ephesians 6:18 What is praying in the Spirit?
- Ephesians 6:21 Who was Tychicus in the Bible?
Bible Study Tools
- Bible Study 101
- Interpreting Epistles
- Study Software & websites
- More Maps & Charts
- Greek Word Studies by Precepts Austin
- Books on how to study the Bible