Study questions, maps, charts, outlines, and links to help you study the Old Testament book of Hosea.
Jump to: Background; ** Maps; ** Key Words; ** Encyclopedias; ** Commentaries; ** Articles; ** GotQuestions ** Next **
- Author: Hosea (c. 750-749 BC)
- Hosea ministered to the northern kingdom of Israel for about 40 years.
- Hosea’s ministry spanned 4 kings of Judah (Uzziah- Hezekiah) and 6 kings of Israel (Zechariah – Hoshea).
- Hosea was a contemporary of Amos in the North, and Isaiah and Micah in the South.
- Hosea’s personal life illustrates his message more than any other prophet.
- An adulterous wife (Gomer) and a faithful husband (Hosea) illustrate the spiritual adultery of the nation of Israel.
- Hosea Chapters 1-3: Israel as an unfaithful wife
- Hosea Chapters 4-12: Israel’s covenant breach
- Key passage: Hosea 4:1-3
- Conclusion: Israel’s downfall stems from failure to keep the covenant
- Hosea Chapters 13-14: Prospects for covenant renewal
- Key Text: Hosea 14:1
- Conclusion Hosea 14:9
Genre: Understanding Prophecy
Background & Outlines
- Introduction to the Prophets
- Chart: Kings of Israel & Judah
- Chart: Bible History at a glance
- Blue Letter Bible: Old Testament Timeline
- Bible Atlas: Samaria
- Bible Atlas: Jerusalem
- Bible Atlas: Jezreel
- Bible Atlas: Jezreel and region
- Ray C Stedman: Overview of the Book
- John MacArthur: Hosea -Intro, Date, Setting, Themes, Interpretative Challenges, Outline
- Minor Prophets Quotes in the New Testament
- Jensen’s Survey of the Old Testament
- Hebrew Calendar
- NIV: Introduction to Hosea
- ESV: Introduction to Minor Prophets
- ESV: Introduction to Hosea
- ESV: The Global Message of Hosea
- James van Dine: Analysis of Hosea
- David Malick: An Introduction to the Book of Hosea
- David Malick: An Argument of the Book of Hosea
- JVernon McGee: Hosea and Joel – Introductory Notes, Outlines
- Charles Swindoll: Book of Hosea Overview
Maps from Bible-History.com
- Map of the Kingdom of David and Solomon
- The Period of the Kings
- The Empire of David and Solomon
- The Kingdom of David
- Solomon’s Temple Illustration
- Ophir and Tarshish
- Israel and Judah During the Time of Rehoboam
- Zaraphath and Mount Carmel
- Ramoth Gilead
Maps from Studylight.org
- The Kingdoms of Israel and Judah (1)
- The Kingdoms of Israel and Judah (2)
- The Kingdoms of Israel and Judah (3)
- The Campaign of Shishak
- Conflicts between Israel and Aram-Damascus
- The Omride Dynasty
- The Golden Ages of the 9th & 8th centuries BCE
- Phoenician Trade and Civilization
- Trade Routes throughout the Middle East
- Travel Routes throughout Palestine
- Elijah and Elisha
- The Revolt of Jehu
- The Rise of Assyria
- Israel & Judah in the days of Jeroboam II and Uzziah
- The Assyrian Empire under Tiglath-Pileser III
- The Syro-Ephraimite War
- Tiglath-Pileser III’s Campaigns
- Fall of Samaria and Deportation of Israelites
- The Fall of the Kingdom of Israel
- Assyrian Districts after the Fall of Samaria
- Prophets of the 8th Century BCE
- Kingdoms of Israel
- Deportations and Returns under Assyria and Babylon
- Assyrian and Babylonian and Greek Empires
- Palestine Between Old and New Testaments
- Old Testament Jerusalem
- Harlotry, in that day, love, God, Hosea, in the last days, knowledge, covenant, return, iniquity (sin), I will, from Me, against Me (the Lord), Judah, Israel, Ephraim.
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
- Hosea, Theology of – Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology
- American Tract Society Hosea
- Bridgeway Bible Dictionary Hosea
- Chabad Knowledge Base Hosea
- Easton’s Bible Dictionary Hosea
- Fausset Bible Dictionary Hosea
- Holman Bible Dictionary Hosea
- Hitchcock Bible Names Hosea
- Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible Hosea
- Hastings’ Dictionary of the NT Hosea
- Morrish Bible Dictionary Hosea
- Hawker’s Poor Man’s Dictionary Hosea
- People’s Dictionary of the Bible Hosea Hosea (2)
- Watson’s Theological Dictionary Hosea
- 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica Hosea
- International Standard Bible Encyclopedia Hosea
- Kitto Biblical Cyclopedia Hosea Hosea book of
- McClintock and Strong’s Bible Encyclopedia Hosea
- The Nuttall Encyclopedia Hosea
Commentaries & Study Bibles
- Ligionier.org Top 5 Commentaries: Hosea
- Tim Challies Best Commentaries:
- Commentary Reviews: Hosea
- Calvin’s Commentary on the Bible: Hosea
- Matthew Henry: Hosea
- Albert Barnes Notes: Hosea
- Reformation Study Bible Notes: Hosea
- Geneva Study Bible: Hosea
- Precept Austin Commentaries & Sermons: Hosea
- Hosea 1:11 And Matthew 2:15 — By John H. Sailhamer
- The Prophet Hosea His Marriage And Message — By John H. Johansen
- Exegetical Notes Hosea 9:10-17 — By Stephen G. Burnett
- The Literary Structure Of Hosea 1-3 — By Charles H. Silva
- Literary Features in the Book of Hosea — By Charles H. Silva
- Portraits from a Prophet’s Portfolio Hosea 4 — By Richard D. Patterson
- The Theological Center of the Book of Hosea — By David B. Wyrtzen
- The New Covenant and Paul’s Quotations from Hosea in Romans 925–26 — By J. Paul Tanner
- The Prophecy Of Hosea — By W. E. Crane
- Hos 9:13 And The Integrity Of The Masoretic Tradition In The Prophecy Of Hosea — By Thomas Edward McComiskey
- The Literary Structure Of Hosea 4–8 — By Charles H. Silva
- Paul’s Use of the Old Testament in Romans 9:25-26 — By John A. Battle, Jr.
- Book of Hosea – Bible Survey
- What are the Major Prophets and Minor Prophets?
- Why did God tell Hosea to marry a prostitute (Hosea 1:2)?
- Who was Gomer in the Bible?
- What is the meaning of Jezreel?
- How are people destroyed from a lack of knowledge (Hosea 4:6)?
- What was the “spirit of prostitution” in Hosea 4:12?
- Why does God desire mercy and acknowledgement of Him instead of sacrifice (Hosea 6:6)?
- What does it mean to sow the wind and reap the whirlwind (Hosea 8:7)?
- Is Hosea 11:1 a Messianic prophecy?
Bible Study Help
- Bible Study 101
- Interpreting Narratives
- Study Software & websites
- More Maps & Charts
- Hebrew word studies by Precepts Austin