Study questions, maps, charts, outlines, and links to help you study the Old Testament book of Habakkuk.
Bible Study: Habakkuk: Faith Under Fire
Jump to: Background; ** Maps; ** Key Words; ** Encylopedias; ** Commentaries; ** Articles; ** GotQuestions ** Next **
- Habakkuk is the only Old Testament book consisting entirely of a dialogue between God and man.
- Habakkuk and Jeremiah were God’s last prophets to Judah before the invasion by Babylon.
- Historical Setting of Habakkuk
- 722 BC – Norther Kingdom of Israel falls to Assyria
- 640 BC – Josiah becomes King of Judah (2 Kings 22:1-2)
- 627 BC – Jeremiah begins his ministry
- 626 BC – The Babylonian prince Nabopolassar re-establishes Babylon as an independent city. The Babylonians — also known as the Chaldeans — are one of the vassal states of Assyria and they are threatening rebel.
- 612 BC – Naboppolassar forms an alliance with the Medes and embarks on a quest to gain dominance over the empire and destroy Assyria. They sack Nineveh.
- 609 BC – The Eqyptian king decides he needs Assyria as a buffer between his kingdom and the Babyloian/Mede alliance. He heads north to help Assyria resist the rebellion, marching through Judah in the process. King Josiah decides to stop him. Josiah is killed at Megiddo. His death is disastrous for the nation. (2 Kings 23:29-37).
- After Josiah’s death, the people place his son Jehoahaz on the throne. But 3 months later as the Pharoah returns from his unsuccessful attempt to help the Assyrians against the Bablylonian/Mede alliance, the Pharoah deposes Jehoahaz, carts him off to Egypt and installs Jehoiakim on the throne.
- 605 BC – Nebuchadnezzar II, now the ruler of Babylon, defeats Egypt in the battle at Carchemish. Jehoiakim swears allegiance to Babylon and the whole of Syria and Palestine fall under Babylonian control (Jeremiah 46:1-2).
- It is during the rule of Jehoakim that Habakkuk prophesized.
- Habbakuk’s world is in tremendous geo-political turmoil.
- Into that setting Habakkuk seeks the Lord, asking how long will this go on? When will you rescue your people?
Genre: Understanding Prophecy
|Southern Kingdom 931-586 BC||Prophets||Biblical References||Assyrian & Chaldean Kings|
|Josiah 31 yrs|
|Jeremiah Zephaniah||2Kng 22:1-23:30;|
|Ashurbanipal 668-627 BC (Assyrian)|
|Jehoahaz (Shallum) 3 mos 609 BC||Jeremiah||2Kng 23:31-34;|
|Nebuchadnezzar II 605-562 BC (Chaldean)|
|Jehoaikim (Eliakim) |
|Jeremiah Habakkuk Daniel||2Kng 23:34-24:7;|
Jer 22:13-23; Jer 26; Jer 36
|605 BC – defeats Egypt & Assyria at Carchemish|
|Jehoiachin (Coniah) |
|Jeremiah Daniel||2Kng 25:8-17;|
2Chr 36:9-10; Jer 22:24-30;
|597 BC – crushes Jehoiakim’s revolt & loots temple|
|Zedekiah (Mattaniah) |
|Jeremiah Daniel Ezekiel||2Kng 24:17-25:7; 2Chr 36:11-21; Jer 39:1-10;|
|589 BC – Zedekiah revolts; siege of Jerusalem begin|
|586 BC||Fall of Jerusalem|
Background & Outlines
- Habakkuk NASB Study Text
- Habakkuk ESV Study Text
- Chart: Bible History at a glance
- Blue Letter Bible: Old Testament Timeline
- Biblehub: Habakkuk Overview
- Biblehub: The Divided Kingdom
- Chart: Kings of Israel & Judah
- Bible Atlas: Assyria
- Bible Atlas: Babylon
- Bible Atlas: Chaldea
- Bible Atlas: Jerusalem
- Ray C Stedman: Overview of the Book
- John MacArthur: Author, Date, Background
- ESV: Introduction to Minor Prophets
- ESV: Introduction to Habakkuk
- ESV: The Global Message of Habakkuk
- NIV: Introduction to Habakkuk
- Habakkuk quotes in the New Testament
- James van Dine: Analysis of Habakkuk
- JVernon McGee: Nahum and Habakkuk – Introduction
- David Malick: An Argument of the Book of Habakkuk
- Arend Remmers: The Prophet Habakkuk (Overview)
- Charles Swindoll: Habakkuk Overview
- Will Pounds: Habakkuk: Lord How Long? – Background Introduction
Maps from Bible-History.com
Maps from Studylight.org
- The Kingdoms of Israel and Judah (1)
- The Kingdoms of Israel and Judah (2)
- The Kingdoms of Israel and Judah (3)
- The Rise of Assyria
- Israel & Judah in the days of Jeroboam II and Uzziah
- Assyrian Empire under Tiglath-Pileser III
- The Syro-Ephraimite War
- Tiglath-Pileser III’s Campaigns
- Fall of Samaria and Deportation of Israelites
- The Fall of the Kingdom of Israel
- Assyrian Districts after the Fall of Samaria
- Prophets of the 8th Century BCE
- Hezekiah’s Preparation for Revolt
- Judah under King Hezekiah
- Hezekiah’s Jerusalem
- Sennacherib’s Campaign against Judah
- Assyria in the 7th century BCE
- The Rise of the Neo-Babylonian Empire
- The Reign of Josiah
- The Districts of Judah under King Josiah
- The Golden Age of King Josiah
- Nebuchadnezzar’s Campaigns against Judah
Key Words in Habakkuk
- Why? (4x/3v – Hab 1:3, 13, 14);
- Faith (1x – Hab 2:4) Save/Salvation (yesha root of Yeshua = Jehovah saves = Jesus) (5x – Hab 1:2, 3:8, 3:13 = 2x, Hab 3:18);
- Selah (a call to pause and be silent that the soul may “listen to the divine illuming” (3x – Hab 3:3, 9, 13 – elsewhere only in Psalms). Of course,
- LORD/God is always a key word (12x)
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
- Habakkuk, Theology of – Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology
- Habakkuk – Holman Bible Dictionary
- Habakkuk – Hastings Dictionary of the Bible
- Habakkuk, Book of – Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature
- Habakkuk – International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
- Habakkuk – Kitto’s Popular Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature
- Habakkuk means “He that embraces; a wrestler” – Hitchcock’s Bible Names
- American Tract Society Habakkuk
- Bridgeway Bible Dictionary Habakkuk
- Easton’s Bible Dictionary Habakkuk
- Fausset Bible Dictionary Habakkuk
- Hawker’s Poor Man’s Dictionary Habakkuk
- People’s Dictionary of the Bible Habakkuk
- Watson’s Theological Dictionary Habakkuk
- 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica Habakkuk
- International Standard Bible Encyclopedia Prayer of Habakkuk Habakkuk
- McClintock and Strong’s Bible Encyclopedia Habakkuk (2) Habakkuk
- The Nuttall Encyclopedia Habakkuk
- The Jewish Encyclopedia Habakkuk
Commentaries & Study Bibles
- Top 5 Commentaries on Habakkuk Keith Mathison – Ligonier.org
- Commentary Reviews: Habakkuk
- Walter Kaiser-Preacher’s Commentary (Micah through Malachi)
- Calvin’s Commentary on the Bible: Habakkuk
- Albert Barnes Notes on the Whole Bible: Habakkuk
- Matthew Henry’s Complete Complete Commentary on the Bible: Habakkuk
- Geneva Study Bible: Habakkuk
- Reformation Study Bible Notes: Habakkuk
- Precept Austin Commentaries & Sermons: Habakkuk
- A Literary Look at Nahum, Habakkuk, and Zephaniah — Richard Patterson
- The Psalm of Habakkuk — Richard D. Patterson
- Habakkuk — H. L. Ellison, Men Spake from God, Exeter: Paternoster Press, 1958
- Interpretive Challenges Relating to Habakkuk 24b — George J. Zemek, Jr.
- Prayer, Oracle And Theophany The Book Of Habakkuk – Michael E.W. Thompson
- The Dead Sea Habakkuk Scroll – F F Bruce
- Ugaritic Poetry And Habakkuk 3 – David Toshio Tsumura
- The Laments of Habakkuk’s Prophecy – J G Harris
- ‘Trust in the Lord’: Hezekiah, Kings and Isaiah, John W. Olley Tyndale Bulletin 50.1 (1999): 59-77.
- The Function of LXX Habakkuk 1:5 in the Book of Acts, Robert W. Wall Bulletin for Biblical Research 10.2 (2000): 247-258.
- Habakkuk: Challenger and Champion of Yahweh — Nicole Ream
- Hearing the Children’s Cries Commentary, Deconstruction, Ethics, and the Book of Habakkuk, R. Christopher Heard Semeia (1997) 75-89.
- “The Righteous Live By Their Faith” In A Holy God Complementary Compositional Forces And Habakkuk’s Dialogue With The Lord – Ernst R. Wendland
- The Translation of Romans 1:17 – A Basic Motif in Paulism – Wilber B Wallis – Habakkuk 2:4
- Revival: A Solution or A Problem? The Definition of Revival in the Old Testament – Robert H. Lescelius
- Shimon Bakon: Habakkuk: From Perplexity to Faith – interesting article from a Jewish perspective
- Book of Habakkuk – Bible Survey
- Does God sometimes use evil to accomplish His plans?
- What does it mean that the righteous will live by faith?
- How can we learn to trust God like the prophet Habakkuk?
- What does it mean that God came from Teman?
- What is the meaning of shigionoth in Habakkuk?
- What does selah mean in the Bible?
- Who were the Cushites?
Bible Study Helps
- Bible Study 101
- Interpreting Narratives
- Study Software & websites
- More Maps & Charts
- Hebrew word studies by Precepts Austin