Study questions, maps, charts, outlines, and links to help you study the Old Testament book of Micah.
Jump to: Background; ** Maps; ** Key Words; ** Encyclopedias; ** Commentaries; ** Articles; ** GotQuestions ** Next **
- Micah, a Judean from Moresheth in southwest Palestine, preached to the common people of Judah.
- Micah was a southern prophet active during the reigns of Jotham, Ahaz and Hezekiah
- Micah was a contemporary of Isaiah and Hosea.
- His name means “who is like Yahweh?”
- Micah predicted the fall of Samaria caused by its idolatry, the devastation of Judah and its ultimate exile.
- Micah 1-3: Imminent Judgement Declared
- Micah 4-5: Ultimate Blessing Promised
- Micah 6-7: Plea for present repentance
- 1:1-2:13 – A Message of Destruction for Samaria and Judah
- 3:1-12 – Doom: The coming judgment
- 4:1-5:1 – Deliverance: The coming kingdom
- 5:2-15 – The Coming King
- 6:1-7:10 – A Message of Denunciation
- 7:11-20 – Epilogue: Blessing for Israel
- Rebukes corrupt landowners, social and religious leaders (e.g. Micah 2:1-2; Micah 3:11).
- Covenant breach will be punished (e.g. Micah 6:16).
- Emphasis on faithful remnant (e.g. Micah 2:12; Micah 4:6-7; Micah 5:7-8).
- Emphasis on restoration of the rule of YHWH from Mt Zion (e.g. Micah 4:2).
- Confidence in the continuation of the Davidic line in a leader who will establish peace and blessing (e.g. Micah 5:2-4).
- Reaffirmation of YHWH’s ability to forgive and reaffirm the Abrahamic covenant (e.g. Micah 7:18-20).
Genre: Understanding Prophecy
Overviews & Outlines
Ray C Stedman: Overview of the Book
John MacArthur: Author, Date, Background
ESV: Introduction to Minor Prophets
ESV: The Global Message of Micah
James van Dine: Analysis of Micah
David Malick: An Introduction to the Book of Micah
David Malick: An Argument of the Book of Micah
William Orr: Micah – Keys to the Old Testament
Charles Swindoll: Book of Micah Overview
JVernon McGee: Micah – Introductory Notes, Outlines
Chart: Bible History at a glance
Blue Letter Bible: Old Testament Timeline
Chart: Kings of Israel & Judah
Kings of Assyria in Biblical Times
Jensen’s Survey of the Old Testament
Minor Prophets Quotes in the New Testament
Maps from Holman Bible Atlas
The Kingdoms of Israel and Judah
The Kingdoms of Israel and Judah (1)
The Kingdoms of Israel and Judah (2)
The Kingdoms of Israel and Judah (3)
Conflicts between Israel and Aram-Damascus
The Golden Ages of the 9th & 8th centuries BCE
Phoenician Trade and Civilization
Trade Routes throughout the Middle East
Israel & Judah in the days of Jeroboam II and Uzziah
The Assyrian Empire under Tiglath-Pileser III
Fall of Samaria and Deportation of Israelites
The Fall of the Kingdom of Israel
Assyrian Districts after the Fall of Samaria
Prophets of the 8th Century BCE
Judah Alone amid International Powers
Hezekiah’s Preparation for Revolt
Sennacherib’s Campaign against Judah
Assyria in the 7th century BCE
The Rise of the Neo-Babylonian Empire
The Districts of Judah under King Josiah
Nebuchadnezzar’s Campaigns against Judah
The Persian Period
World Powers of the 6th century BCE
The Conquests of Cyrus the Great
The Return of the Jewish Exiles to Judah
ESV Study Bible Maps
Jacob (11x/10v), Mic. 1:5; 2:7, 12; 3:1, 8, 9; 4:2; 5:7, 8; 7:20
Israel (12x/12v), Mic. 1:5, 13, 14, 15; 2:12; 3:1, 8, 9; 5:1, 2, 3; 6:2
Jerusalem (8x/8v), Mic. 1:1, 5, 9, 12; 3:10, 12; 4:2, 8
Zion (9x/9v), Mic. 1:13; 3:10, 12; 4:2, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13
Walk (8x/7v), Mic. 2:3; 4:2, 5; 6:8, 16
Hear (7x/6v), Mic. 1:2; 3:1, 9; 6:1, 9; 7:7
Nations (9x/7v), Mic. 4:2, 3, 7, 11; 5:8, 15; 7:16
Remnant (5x/5v), Mic. 2:12; 4:7; 5:7, 8; 7:18
Righteous, Righteousness, (2x/2v) Mic 6:5, 7:9
Destroy/Destruction (6x/5v), Mic. 2:4, 10; 5:10, 14; 6:16
People (My, Thy, His) (12x/12v), Mic. 1:9; 2:4, 8, 9, 11; 3:3, 5; 6:2, 3, 5, 16; 7:14
That day (4x/4v) Mic. 2:4; 4:6; 5:10; 7:11
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary: Micah, Theology of
American Tract Society Micah
Bridgeway Bible Dictionary Micah
Easton’s Bible Dictionary Micah
Fausset Bible Dictionary Micah
Holman Bible Dictionary Micah
Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible Micah
1911 Encyclopedia Britannica Micah
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia Micah (1) Micah (2)
Kitto Biblical Cyclopedia Micah
McClintock and Strong Micah
The Nuttall Encyclopedia Micah
The Jewish Encyclopedia Micah
Commentaries & Study Bibles
Ligionier.org Top 5 Commentaries: Micah
Tim Challies Best Commentaries:
Commentary Reviews: Micah
Bruce Waltke: A Commentary on Micah
Walter Kaiser-Preacher’s Commentary (Micah through Malachi)
Calvin’s Commentary on the Bible: Micah
Matthew Henry: Micah
Albert Barnes Notes: Micah
Reformation Study Bible Notes: Micah
Geneva Study Bible: Micah
Precept Austin Commentaries & Sermons: Micah
Micah’s Social Concern – Leslie C Allen
Micah 6:8 – The Prophet Micah and His Famous Saying
Fire in God’s House: Imagery from Malachi 3 in Peter’s Theology of Suffering (1Pe 4:12-19) – D E Johnson
A Note on Micah 5:1 – S J Schwantes
Charles Feinberg: The Commanding Importance of the Prophetic Scriptures
JHampton Keathley: The Minor Prophets
What are the Major Prophets and Minor Prophets?
Why is the lack of visions and divinations considered a punishment (Micah 3:6)?
In the last days, will everyone need to go to Jerusalem to worship God (Micah 4:2)?
What does the Bible mean when it refers to a “Daughter of Zion” (Micah 4:13)?
Is Micah 5:2 a Messianic prophecy?
What does it mean to do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly (Micah 6:8)?
What is the sea of forgetfulness?
Series: Resources by Book
Photo by Pierre Bamin on Unsplash