Study questions, maps, charts, outlines, and links to help you study the Old Testament book of Micah.
Jump to: Background; ** Maps; ** Key Words; ** Encyclopedias; ** Commentaries; ** Articles; ** GotQuestions ** Next **
- Micah, a Judean from Moresheth in southwest Palestine, preached to the common people of Judah.
- Micah was a southern prophet active during the reigns of Jotham, Ahaz and Hezekiah
- Micah was a contemporary of Isaiah and Hosea.
- His name means “who is like Yahweh?”
- Micah predicted the fall of Samaria caused by its idolatry, the devastation of Judah and its ultimate exile.
- Micah 1-3: Imminent Judgement Declared
- Micah 4-5: Ultimate Blessing Promised
- Micah 6-7: Plea for present repentance
- 1:1-2:13 – A Message of Destruction for Samaria and Judah
- 3:1-12 – Doom: The coming judgment
- 4:1-5:1 – Deliverance: The coming kingdom
- 5:2-15 – The Coming King
- 6:1-7:10 – A Message of Denunciation
- 7:11-20 – Epilogue: Blessing for Israel
- Rebukes corrupt landowners, social and religious leaders (e.g. Micah 2:1-2; Micah 3:11).
- Covenant breach will be punished (e.g. Micah 6:16).
- Emphasis on faithful remnant (e.g. Micah 2:12; Micah 4:6-7; Micah 5:7-8).
- Emphasis on restoration of the rule of YHWH from Mt Zion (e.g. Micah 4:2).
- Confidence in the continuation of the Davidic line in a leader who will establish peace and blessing (e.g. Micah 5:2-4).
- Reaffirmation of YHWH’s ability to forgive and reaffirm the Abrahamic covenant (e.g. Micah 7:18-20).
Genre: Understanding Prophecy
Overviews & Outlines
- Ray C Stedman: Overview of the Book
- John MacArthur: Author, Date, Background
- ESV: Introduction to Minor Prophets
- ESV: Introduction to Micah
- ESV: The Global Message of Micah
- NIV: Introduction to Micah
- James van Dine: Analysis of Micah
- David Malick: An Introduction to the Book of Micah
- David Malick: An Argument of the Book of Micah
- William Orr: Micah – Keys to the Old Testament
- Charles Swindoll: Book of Micah Overview
- JVernon McGee: Micah – Introductory Notes, Outlines
- Introduction to the Prophets
- Chart: Bible History at a glance
- Blue Letter Bible: Old Testament Timeline
- Biblehub: The Divided Kingdom
- Chart: Kings of Israel & Judah
- Kings of Assyria in Biblical Times
- Bible Atlas: Assyria
- Bible Atlas: Babylon
- Bible Atlas: Chaldea
- Bible Atlas: Jerusalem
- Jensen’s Survey of the Old Testament
- Hebrew Calendar
- Minor Prophets Quotes in the New Testament
Maps from Bible-History.com
Maps from Holman Bible Atlas
The Kingdoms of Israel and Judah
- The Kingdoms of Israel and Judah (1)
- The Kingdoms of Israel and Judah (2)
- The Kingdoms of Israel and Judah (3)
- The Campaign of Shishak
- Conflicts between Israel and Aram-Damascus
- The Omride Dynasty
- The Golden Ages of the 9th & 8th centuries BCE
- Phoenician Trade and Civilization
- Trade Routes throughout the Middle East
- Elijah and Elisha
- The Revolt of Jehu
- The Rise of Assyria
- Israel & Judah in the days of Jeroboam II and Uzziah
- The Assyrian Empire under Tiglath-Pileser III
- Fall of Samaria and Deportation of Israelites
- The Fall of the Kingdom of Israel
- Assyrian Districts after the Fall of Samaria
- Prophets of the 8th Century BCE
Judah Alone amid International Powers
- Hezekiah’s Preparation for Revolt
- Judah under King Hezekiah
- Hezekiah’s Jerusalem
- Sennacherib’s Campaign against Judah
- Assyria in the 7th century BCE
- The Rise of the Neo-Babylonian Empire
- The Reign of Josiah
- The Districts of Judah under King Josiah
- The Golden Age of King Josiah
- Nebuchadnezzar’s Campaigns against Judah
The Persian Period
- Jacob (11x/10v), Mic. 1:5; 2:7, 12; 3:1, 8, 9; 4:2; 5:7, 8; 7:20
- Israel (12x/12v), Mic. 1:5, 13, 14, 15; 2:12; 3:1, 8, 9; 5:1, 2, 3; 6:2
- Jerusalem (8x/8v), Mic. 1:1, 5, 9, 12; 3:10, 12; 4:2, 8
- Zion (9x/9v), Mic. 1:13; 3:10, 12; 4:2, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13
- Samaria (3x/3v) Mic 1:1, 5, 6
- Walk (8x/7v), Mic. 2:3; 4:2, 5; 6:8, 16
- Hear (7x/6v), Mic. 1:2; 3:1, 9; 6:1, 9; 7:7
- Nations (9x/7v), Mic. 4:2, 3, 7, 11; 5:8, 15; 7:16
- Remnant (5x/5v), Mic. 2:12; 4:7; 5:7, 8; 7:18
- Righteous, Righteousness, (2x/2v) Mic 6:5, 7:9
- Destroy/Destruction (6x/5v), Mic. 2:4, 10; 5:10, 14; 6:16
- People (My, Thy, His) (12x/12v), Mic. 1:9; 2:4, 8, 9, 11; 3:3, 5; 6:2, 3, 5, 16; 7:14
- That day (4x/4v) Mic. 2:4; 4:6; 5:10; 7:11
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
- Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary: Micah, Theology of
- American Tract Society Micah
- Bridgeway Bible Dictionary Micah
- Easton’s Bible Dictionary Micah
- Fausset Bible Dictionary Micah
- Holman Bible Dictionary Micah
- Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible Micah
- 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica Micah
- International Standard Bible Encyclopedia Micah (1) Micah (2)
- Kitto Biblical Cyclopedia Micah
- McClintock and Strong Micah
- The Nuttall Encyclopedia Micah
- The Jewish Encyclopedia Micah
Commentaries & Study Bibles
- Ligionier.org Top 5 Commentaries: Micah
- Tim Challies Best Commentaries:
- Commentary Reviews: Micah
- Bruce Waltke: A Commentary on Micah
- Walter Kaiser-Preacher’s Commentary (Micah through Malachi)
- Calvin’s Commentary on the Bible: Micah
- Matthew Henry: Micah
- Albert Barnes Notes: Micah
- Reformation Study Bible Notes: Micah
- Geneva Study Bible: Micah
- Precept Austin Commentaries & Sermons: Micah
- Micah’s Social Concern – Leslie C Allen
- Micah 1 Notes – D K Innes
- Micah 2 Notes – D K Innes
- Micah 3-4 Notes – D K Innes
- Micah 5 Notes – D K Innes
- Micah 6-7 Notes – D K Innes
- Micah 6:8 – The Prophet Micah and His Famous Saying
- Fire in God’s House: Imagery from Malachi 3 in Peter’s Theology of Suffering (1Pe 4:12-19) – D E Johnson
- A Note on Micah 5:1 – S J Schwantes
- Charles Feinberg: The Commanding Importance of the Prophetic Scriptures
- JHampton Keathley: The Minor Prophets
- Book of Micah – Bible Survey
- What are the Major Prophets and Minor Prophets?
- Who was Micah in the Bible?
- Why is the lack of visions and divinations considered a punishment (Micah 3:6)?
- In the last days, will everyone need to go to Jerusalem to worship God (Micah 4:2)?
- What does the Bible mean when it refers to a “Daughter of Zion” (Micah 4:13)?
- Is Micah 5:2 a Messianic prophecy?
- What does it mean to do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly (Micah 6:8)?
- What is the sea of forgetfulness?