Study questions, maps, charts, outlines, and links to help you study the Old Testament book of Haggai.
Jump to: Background; ** Maps; ** Key Words; ** Encyclopedias; ** Commentaries; ** Articles; ** GotQuestions ** Next **
- Author: The Prophet Haggai, written in 520 BC while Zerubbabel was governor.
- Haggai is know only from this book and from Ezra 5:1 and Ezra 6:14.
- Haggai returned to Jerusalem from Babylon with the remnant that returned with Zerubbabel.
- Haggai 2:3 may suggest that he had seen the glory of Solomon’s temple before it was destroyed, making him at least 70 years of age when writing his prophecy.
- Both Haggai and Zechariah urged the people to rebuild the temple.
- At the time Haggai prophecies it had been 15 years since the initial work on rebuilding the temple had begun.
- Zerubbabel was an ancestor of both Joseph (Matthew 1:13) and Mary (Luke 3:27).
- The occasion of each of Haggai’s 4 prophecies is clearly specified (1:1; 2:1; 2:10; 2:20), occurring within a 4 month span in the second year (ca. 520 B.C.) of Persian king Darius (ca. 521–486 B.C.).
- 538 – Zerubbabel and first return of the exiles ( Ezra 1-6).
- 536 BC – Work on the temple begins (Ezra 3:8).
- 530-520 BC – Work on the temple stops (Ezra 4:24).
- 520 BC – Work on the temple resumes (Ezra 5:2).
- 520 BC – Events of the book of Haggai
- 520-518 BC – Events of Zechariah 1-8.
- 516 BC – Work on the temple is completed.
Genre: Understanding Prophecy
- Introduction to the Prophets
- Introduction to the Exile & Return
- Chart: Bible History at a glance
- Chronology Ezra-Nehemiah
- Blue Letter Bible: Old Testament Timeline
- Hebrew Calendar
- Bible Atlas: Persia
- Bible Atlas: Babylon
- Bible Atlas: Jerusalem
- Minor Prophets Quotes in the NT
- Ray C Stedman: Overview of the Book
- John MacArthur: Author, Date, Background
- BibleHistory.com: List of the Kings of Persia
- JVernon McGee: Haggai – Introductory Notes, Outlines
- David Malick (Bible.org): An Introduction to the Book of Haggai
- ESV: Introduction to Haggai
- ESV: The Global Message of Haggai
- NIV: Introduction to the Minor Prophets
- NIV: An Introduction to Haggai
- William Orr: Keys to Haggai
- Arend Remmers: The Prophet Haggai (Overview)
- Charles Swindoll: The Prophet Haggai
Maps from Bible-History.com
Maps from Studylight.org
- World Powers of the 6th century BCE
- The Conquests of Cyrus the Great
- The Persian Empire
- The Return of the Jewish Exiles to Judah
- Judah in the 5th century BCE
- Palestine after the Exile
ESV Study Bible
- Chronology of Ezra
- Adversaries Hinder Work in Ezra
- Kings of Persia in Ezra–Nehemiah
- Chronology of Nehemiah
- Chronology in Esther
- LORD (24x) – Strong’s H3068 in Hag 1:1; Hag 1:2; Hag 1:3; Hag 1:5; Hag 1:7; Hag 1:8; Hag 1:9; Hag 1:12; Hag 1:13; Hag 1:14; Hag 2:1; Hag 2:4; Hag 2:6; Hag 2:7; Hag 2:8; Hag 2:9; Hag 2:10; Hag 2:11; Hag 2:14; Hag 2:15; Hag 2:17; Hag 2:18; Hag 2:20; Hag 2:23.
- hosts (Lord of Hosts; 12x) – Strong’s H6635 in Hag 1:2; Hag 1:5; Hag 1:7; Hag 1:9; Hag 1:14; Hag 2:4; Hag 2:6; Hag 2:7; Hag 2:8; Hag 2:9; Hag 2:11; Hag 2:23.
- word (of the Lord came; 5x) – Strong’s H1697 in Hag 1:1; Hag 1:3; Hag 2:1; Hag 2:10; Hag 2:20.
- rebuilt/rebuild (2x) – Strong’s H1129 in Hag 1:2; Hag 1:8.
- consider (4x) – Strong’s H7760 in Hag 1:5; Hag 1:7; Hag 2:15; Hag 2:18.
- house (6x) – Strong’s H1004 in Hag 1:2; Hag 1:4; Hag 1:9; Hag 1:14; Hag 2:7; Hag 2:9.
- temple (4x) – Strong’s H1004 in Hag 1:8; Hag 2:3; Strong’s H1964 in Hag 2:15; Hag 2:18.
- glory (3x) – Strong’s H3519b in Hag 2:3; Hag 2:7; Hag 2:9.
- shake (3x) – Strong’s H7493 in Hag 2:6; Hag 2:7; Hag 2:21.
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
- Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology: Haggai, Theology Of
- American Tract Society: Haggai
- Bridgeway Bible Dictionary: Haggai
- Easton’s Bible Dictionary: Haggai, Book Of; Haggai
- Fausset Bible Dictionary: Haggai, the Book Of; Haggai
- Holman Bible Dictionary: Haggai
- Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible: Haggai
- Kitto’s Popular Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature: Haggai
- Morrish Bible Dictionary: Haggai
- International Standard Bible Encyclopedia: Haggai
- McClintock and Strong: Haggai, Prophecy Of; Haggai
- The Nuttall Encyclopedia: Haggai
- The Jewish Encyclopedia: Haggai, Book Of; Haggai
- Hitchcock’s Bible names: Haggai means feast; solemnity
Commentaries & Study Bibles
- Ligionier.org Top 5 Commentaries: Haggai
- Tim Challies Best Commentaries:
- Commentary Reviews: Haggai
- Walter Kaiser – Preacher’s Commentary
- Calvin’s Commentary on the Bible: Haggai
- Matthew Henry: Haggai
- Albert Barnes Notes: Haggai
- Reformation Study Bible Notes: Haggai
- Geneva Study Bible: Haggai
- Precept Austin Commentaries & Sermons: Haggai
- Haggai Master Rhetorician — M.J. Boda
- The Shaking Of The Nations An Eschatological View — John A. Kessler
- Literary Connectors And A Haggai-Zechariah-Malachi Corpus — Ronald W. Pierce
- A Thematic Development Of The Haggai-Zechariah-Malachi Corpus –Ronald W Pierce
- Impulse And Design In The Book Of Haggai — By Duane L. Christensen
- The Theological Basis for the Prohibition of Images in the Old Testament – Edward M Curtis
- Composition, Rhetoric and Theology in Haggai 1:1-11 (Note: Jewish perspective) – Elie Assis
- The Building of the Second Temple- by J. Stafford Wright
- Greg Herrick: Conceptions of Davidic Hope in Ezekiel, Zechariah, Haggai, and the Chronicles
- JHampton Keathley: The Minor Prophets
- Book of Haggai – Bible Survey
- Haggai 1:2 Why were the Israelites not rebuilding the temple?
- Haggai 1:4 Is it wrong to live in nice houses?
- Haggai 1:6, 9 Does God use frustrations in life to awaken and/or punish us ()?
- Haggai 2:7 Who is the desired of all nations?
- Haggai 2:23 What does it mean that Zerubbabel was the LORD’s signet ring?
- What was Zerubbabel’s temple/the second temple?
- What are the Major Prophets and Minor Prophets?
Bible Study Helps
- Bible Study 101
- Interpreting Narratives
- Study Software & websites
- More Maps & Charts
- Hebrew word studies by Precepts Austin