Study questions, maps, charts, key words, history, background, outlines, and links to help you study the Old Testament book of Malachi.
Jump to: Background; ** Maps; ** Key Words; ** Encyclopedias; ** Commentaries; ** Articles; ** GotQuestions ** Next **
- Author: Prophet Malachi
- Date: Most likely during Nehemiah’s return to Persia (c. 433-424 BC).
- Malachi marks the beginning of God’s 400 years of silence broken by John the Baptist.
Genre: Understanding Prophecy
- Introduction to the Prophets
- Introduction to the Exile & Return
- Chart: Bible History at a glance
- Chronology Ezra-Nehemiah
- Blue Letter Bible: Old Testament Timeline
- Jensen’s Survey of the Old Testament
- Bible Atlas: Persia
- Bible Atlas: Babylon
- Bible Atlas: Babylonia
- Bible Atlas: Jerusalem
- Hebrew Calendar
- Timeline of the Babylonian Captivity
- Minor Prophets Quotes in the NT
- BibleHistory.com: List of the Kings of Persia
- Ray C Stedman: Overview of the Book
- John MaArthur Overview
- ESV: Introduction to Malachi
- ESV: The Global Message of Malachi
- NIV: Introduction to the Minor Prophets
- NIV: Introduction to Malachi
- James van Dine: Analysis of Malachi
- David Malick: An Introduction to the Book of Malachi
- David Malik (Bible.org): An Argument of the Book of Malachi
- JVernon McGee: Malachi – Introductory Notes, Outlines
- Charles Swindoll: Malachi Overview
- William Orr: Keys to Malachi
Maps from Bible-History.com
Maps from Studylight.org
- World Powers of the 6th century BCE
- The Conquests of Cyrus the Great
- The Persian Empire
- The Return of the Jewish Exiles to Judah
- Judah in the 5th century BCE
- Palestine after the Exile
ESV Study Bible
- Chronology of Ezra
- Adversaries Hinder Work in Ezra
- Kings of Persia in Ezra–Nehemiah
- Chronology of Nehemiah
- Chronology in Esther
- Lord (39x) – Lord of Hosts
- “But/yet you say” Mal 1:2; Mal 1:6; Mal 1:7; Mal 2:14; Mal 2:17; Mal 3:7; Mal 3:8; Mal 3:13.
- day (5x; that day, day is coming) – Strong’s H3117 in Mal 3:2; Mal 3:17; Mal 4:1; Mal 4:3; Mal 4:5.
- return (4x/2v) – Strong’s H7724 in Mal 1:4; Mal 3:7.
- messenger (3x/2v) – Strong’s H4397 in Mal 2:7; Mal 3:1
- curse (4x3v) – Strong’s H3994 in Mal 2:2; Mal 3:9; Strong’s H779 in Mal 2:2; Strong’s H2764a in Mal 4:6.
- name (7x) – Strong’s H8034 in Mal 1:6; Mal 1:11; Mal 1:14; Mal 2:2; Mal 2:5; Mal 3:16; Mal 4:2.
- test (2x) – Strong’s H974 in Mal 3:10; Mal 3:15.
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
- Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology: Malachi, theology of
- American Tract Society Malachi
- Bridgeway Bible Dictionary Malachi
- Fausset Bible Dictionary Malachi
- Holman Bible Dictionary Malachi
- Hitchcock Bible Names Malachi
- Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible Malachi
- Morrish Bible Dictionary Malachi
- Hawker’s Poor Man’s Dictionary Malachi
- People’s Dictionary of the Bible Malachi
- Watson’s Theological Dictionary Malachi
- 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica Malachi
- International Standard Bible Encyclopedia Malachi
- Kitto Biblical Cyclopedia Malachi
- McClintock and Strong’s Bible Encyclopedia Malachi
- The Nuttall Encyclopedia Malachi
- Easton’s Bible Dictionary Malachi
Commentaries & Study Bibles
- Ligionier.org Top 5 Commentaries: Malachi
- Tim Challies Best Commentaries:
- Commentary Reviews: Malachi
- Walter Kaiser – Malachi – God’s Unchanging Love
- Calvin’s Commentary on the Bible: Malachi
- Matthew Henry: Malachi
- Albert Barnes Notes: Malachi
- Reformation Study Bible Notes: Malachi
- Geneva Study Bible: Malachi
- Precept Austin Commentaries & Sermons: Malachi
- A Commentary On The Book Of Malachi by Richard V. Clearwaters
- Wakening A Sleeping Metaphor- A New Interpretation Of Malachi 1:11 –Åke Viberg
- Discovering the Macrostructure of the Book of Malachi- Mal. 1:1–12 as a Test Case — Rand Michael Muender
- Malachi 1:11 And The Worship Of The Nations In The Old Testament — J. G. Baldwin
- Divorce And Violence- Synonymous Parallelism In Malachi 2:16 — Elaine A. Heath
- Is The Messiah Announced In Malachi 3:1- Andrew S. Malone
- Will There Be Another Elijah- Carl Armerding
- A Thematic Development Of The Haggai-Zechariah-Malachi Corpus — Ronald W. Pierce
- WJ Beecher: The Prophets and the Promise
- Craig Bloomberg: Elijah, Election, and the Use of Malachi in the NT
- Charles Feinberg: The Commanding Importance of the Prophetic Scriptures
- William Luck: Divorce and Re-Marriage: Recovering the Biblical View
- Richard Mayhue: The Prophet’s Watchword: Day of the LORD
- Max I Reich: The Messianic Hope of Israel – The Hope Scheduled in Malachi
- Malachi Survey
- What are the Major and Minor Prophets?
- Why did God love Jacob and hate Esau (Malachi 1:3; Romans 9:13)?
- How do we bring blemished offerings to God (Malachi 1:8)?
- What does it mean to profane the covenant (Malachi 2:10)?
- What does Malachi 2:16 mean when God says, ‘I hate divorce’?
- How can we express our doubt to God without offending Him (Malachi 2:17; 3:14-15)?
- Who is the promised messenger of Malachi 3:1?
- What is the significance of the refiner’s fire and launderer’s soap in Malachi 3:2?
- What Does It Mean to Test God?
- What does it mean to rebuke the devourer in Malachi 3:11?
- Does the teaching on tithing in Malachi 3:9-10 apply to us today?
- What is the book of remembrance (Malachi 3:16)?
- What is the sun of righteousness (Malachi 4:2)?
- Was John the Baptist Elijah reincarnated (Malachi 3:1; 4:5)?
- What is the Day of the Lord?
- Why must Elijah return before the end times (Malachi 4:5-6)?
Bible Study Helps
- Bible Study 101
- Interpreting Narratives
- Study Software & websites
- More Maps & Charts
- Hebrew word studies by Precepts Austin