Resources to help you study the Bible. On this one page, you’ll find links by book of the Bible, plus links to websites, maps, charts, overviews, outlines, timelines encyclopedias, concordances and tips on how to use them.
Jump to: ** Outlines/Timelines; ** Encyclopedias; ** Concordances; ** Translations; ** Lexicons; ** Maps; ** Commentaries; ** History; ** Next; **
Charts & Lists
- Books of the Bible by Date Written
- Quotations: Where Scripture quotes Scripture
- Key Words by book (indubiblia.org)
- Women in the Bible (Zondervan)
- Nameless Women in the Bible (Zondervan)
- Barnes Bible Charts (dated, but useful)
- How the Old Testament is organized
- Old Testament Books in Chronological Order
- Abraham’s family tree
- Chart of Israel’s Judges
- Saul’s family tree
- David’s family tree
- Kings of Israel & Judah
- Psalms by Theme (Daily Office)
- BibleHistory.com: Chronology of the Prophets
- BibleHistory.com: Kings of the Assyrian Empire
- BibleHistory.com: Kings of the Babylonian Empire
- BibleHistory.com: Kings of the Persian Empire
Outlines & Timelines
- Bible History at a Glance Chart (WitW)
- Hebrew Calendar (WitW)
- Executable Outlines (Blue Letter Bible)
- Bible Chronology (indubiblia.org)
- Biblehub: The Bible by period
- Chronology of Ezra-Nehemiah
- Chronology of Jeremiah’s ministry
- Weights & Measures in the Bible (Biblehub)
- Chronology of Acts/Epistles (Blue Letter Bible)
- Chronology of Paul (WitW)
- Paul’s Missionary Journeys (Map & Chart)
- Chronology of Paul (Blue Letter Bible)
Encyclopedias & Dictionaries
- Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological and Ecclesiastical Literature Also known as “McClintock & Strong”, this reference work consists of ten volumes and two supplements published in the 19th century, co-authored by John McClintock, academic and minister, and Dr. James Strong, professor of exegetical theology.
- International Standard Bible Encyclopedia This 1915 encyclopedia was published by Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. Hailed for its authoritative explanation of every significant word, person and place, it is the standard by which all other biblical encyclopedias are measured.
- Kitto’s Popular Cyclopedia of Biblical Literature Dr. John Kitto’s encyclopedia was the first Bible Dictionary or Encyclopedia to have experts in each subject share their knowledge. Many subsequent Bible dictionaries and encyclopedias reference Kitto’s work.
- The Nuttall Encyclopedia The Nuttall Encyclopedia, named for Dr. Peter Austin Nuttall (d. 1869), consists of entries that are generally very short. The encyclopedia has a strong editorial voice. The work concerns itself mostly with people and places.
- 1901 Jewish Encyclopedia.com The 1901 Jewish Encyclopedia, prepared by more than four hundred scholars and specalists, was a descriptive record of the history, religion, literature and customs of the Jewish people from the earliest times to the present day.
- 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica When published in 1911, this encyclopedia contained over 40 million words in nearly 40,000 articles written by 1,500 authors respected in their fields. It represented the sum of human knowledge at the beginning of the 20th century.
- Manners and Customs of Bible Lands
- Bible Dictionary Search (Blue Letter Bible)
- American Tract Society Bible Dictionary Although written in 1859 by William Rand, this dictionary of the Bible from the American Tract Society is still relevant today.
- Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology Collected from many noted, contemporary theologians, this resources is a useful addition to any library.
- Easton’s Bible Dictionary Easton’s Bible Dictionary was written by Matthew George Easton (1823-1894). This Scottish Presbyterian’s other significant literary achievements were his English translations of two of Franz Delitzsch’s commentaries.
- Fausset’s Bible Dictionary From the co-author of the classic Jamieson, Fausset and Brown Commentary, Fausset’s Bible Dictionary stands as one of the best single-volume Bible encyclopedias ever written for general use. The author’s writing style is always clear and concise, and he tackles issues important to the average student of the Bible, not just the Biblical scholars.
- Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible Complete and trustworthy, Hastings’ Dictionary of the Bible is a thorough reference (5,915 entries) for all readers of the Bible. For nearly a century, lay people and scholars alike have valued the authoritative contents and the convenient format of this one-volume work.
- Hastings’ Dictionary of the New Testament Originally written as two different dictionaries, this complete dictionary/encyclopedia of the New Testament, written by James Hastings, is a thorough look at Christ and the Apostolic Church.
- Holman Bible Dictionary The product of over 6 years of work by hundreds of people, the Holman Bible Dictionary manages to be readable and easy to use, yet take advantage of the finest modern Bible scholarship without heavy technical language. The over 6,600 entries includes extensive cross-referencing of related articles, and quotes from 6 different Bible translations.
- Hitchcock’s Bible Names This dictionary is from “Hitchcock New and Complete Analysis of the Holy Bible,” written by Roswell D. Hitchcock in 1869. It contains more than 2,500 Bible and Bible-related proper names and their meanings.
- Morrish Bible Dictionary Originally published with the title A New and Concise Bible Dictionary by George Morrish (London), the Morrish Bible Dictionary is more than a dictionary of Bible words.
- Smith’s Bible Dictionary More than 4,500 subjects and proper names are defined and analyzed with corresponding Scripture references. Bible students have used “Smith’s Bible Dictionary” since its introduction in the 1880s, making it a trustworthy classic.
- Whyte’s Dictionary of Bible Characters Alexander Whyte’s Dictionary of Bible Characters delves into the lives and history of both prominent and little-known characters of the Old and New Testaments. Drawing directly from both the Bible and referencing works of other notable scholars, Whyte’s skillful paints an informative and illuminating picture of these men and women.
- Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance (Biblehub)
- Englishman’s Greek Concordance (Biblehub)
- Englishman’s Hebrew Concordance (Biblehub)
- NAS Exhaustive Concordance (Biblehub)
- Nave’s Topical Bible (Studylight.org)
- Scofield Reference Index (Studylight.org)
- How do I do a word study?
- Why is the New Testament written in Greek?
- 5 ideas you should NOT believe about your English Bible
- Archaic Words Defined (Blue Letter Bible)
- Greek Word Studies from Precepts Austin
- Hebrew Word Studies from Precepts Austin
- Compare Bible Verses in all translations (BibleStudytools.com)
- Reformation Study Bible Notes
- Geneva Study Bible Notes
- New American Standard Bible Online
- NIV Study Bible Online
- ESV Bible Online
Lexicons & Dictionaries
- Biblehub.com Dictionary (multi-sourced)
- Biblehub.com Lexicon
- BibleStudytools.com Dictionaries
- BibleStudytools.com Lexicons
- Simplified Greek & Hebrew Grammar (Blue Letter Bible)
- Old Testament Maps (BibleHistory.com)
- New Testament Maps (BibleHistory.com)
- Maps by Book of Bible (BibleHistory.com)
- Comprehensive Maps from Studylight.org
- Full Color Maps (indubiblia.org)
- Bible Atlas Online (Biblehub)
- Map of New Testament Churches
- Paul’s 3 Journeys on 1 map
Favorite Bible-History.com maps
- New Testament World
- Paul’s 1st Journey
- Paul’s 2nd Journey
- Paul’s 3rd Journey
- Israel in NT Times
- Kingdom of Herod the Great
- Herod’s Kingdom Divided
- New Testament Cities – Once there click on specific area
- Apostles’ Journeys
Favorite Studylight.org maps
- Paul’s First Missionary Journey
- Paul’s Second Missionary Journey
- Paul’s Third Missionary Journey
- Paul’s Arrest and Imprisonment
- Paul’s Voyage to Rome
Commentaries & Overviews
- Classic Commentaries online
- John MacArthur: Author, Date, Background
- Ray Stedman: Overview of each Book
- RC Sproul’s Overivew of the Bible
- ESV Introductions to each book of the Bible
- Jensen’s Survey of the Old Testament & New Testament
- Top 5 Commentaries (Ligonier Ministries)
- Best Commentaries (Tim Challies)
- Commentary Reviews
- Sound Interpretation Project
- Alfred Edersheim: Sketches of Jewish Social Life
- Alfred Edersheim: Old Testament History
- Alfred Edersheim: The Temple —Its Ministry and Services
- Alfred Edersheim: The Life & Times of Jesus the Messiah
- The Works of Flavious Josephus
- The Antiquities of the Jews – Josephus
- The Wars of the Jews or History of the Destruction of Jerusalem – Josephus
- Jacob Abbott: Cyrus the Great (1904)
- Jaocob Abbott: Darius the Great (1904)
- Xerxes – Abbott
- The Apostolic Fathers by J. B. Lighfoot
- Who are the early church fathers?